Mike King's open day (open weekend)Saturday 7th of June 2014

Mike King

Hi Everyone,

Since the plants are already in growth and spring around the corner, I would like to invite you to my open day on Saturday 7th of June.

Officially, it starts at 12 noon, but because people are travelling from quite long distances, people can come earlier. Just be prepared to help out with setting up gazebos etc!

On the Friday, it is planned to do a trip to Chester zoo and on the Sunday/ Saturday night, Ian Salter and Dianne will be opening up their collection too so it will be a whole weekend extravaganza!

Here, the collection is laid out a bit differently with all the flavas and leucos set out in clone number order. The contrast of colours should be quite interesting!

As usual, please feel free to bring some plants to sell or swap, but please remember the host when buying plants! There will be a lot of plants on offer and if you are early enough will find some rare Sarracenia divisions that will be ready and did not make it on my sales list.

Food, drinks and light refreshments will be provided throughout the day, but so we can get the right amount of food in, please let me know if you would like to come.

Also, as fuel is expensive, please consider giving one another lifts.

I hope to see many of you here!

• Like 1

Guest paul y

count me in, im travelling from Bristol so anyone in the south west, somerset Wiltshire etc drop me a message and you can join me on transport etc.

I am more than happy to help with setting up etc, I have lots of free time im willing to donate in exchange for some expert knowledge and hands on experience.

same applies to anyone with a big nursery, if your in need of help and are willing to teach then let me know, will work for knowledge!

• 4 weeks later...

I'll get there Mike, I'll come early and have to leave early (2pm) as I have a long journey the following day and on track Monday so need to prep the car.

Paul if you want a lift I can pick you up in Bristol, I've lots of space for plants, but be aware I'll be in Bristol 8.30 to get to Mikes at 10ish, and leaving early at 2pmish. A contribution toward fuel will be appreciated.

Les

Guest paul y

hi tricky yeah I will happily join you and more happy to share whatever travel expenses may arise, I wont have any plants to take, im more of a purchaser at the moment. I have been asked by ian that there may be room for me to join them on the evening ready for ian and diannes open day the next day so I may make other arrangements to get home.

send me a pm with more details and im in,

regards paul

Hi Mike,

i´ll be there, like every year ;-)

And i´m very looking forward to this great weekend!

I´m also very happy that i have the chance to come to your open day, Ian. And i´m very curious about your plants and of course, your garden! Let´s see the changes ;-)

I can also bring some plants, but only for pre orders. So please check my website: www.green-jaws.com and if there is anything interesting for you, please feel free to send me an Email.

See you there.

Best regards

Matze 

Always a pleasure to see you Mathias.

We now have a long supported bench along the back end of the tunnel for collection VFT and at the end is a raised full width bench mostly for the sundew collection and full trays below for Sphagnum moss propogation for future trials in mixes and hopefully a renewable growing media.

Dianne's Pinguicula house is in operation but by no means finished yet she still takes up Sarracenia space in the tunnel more than before lol.

I have this week stripped a load of old pallets to make vegatable planters and they are painted up ready to be filled.

I have also reorganised my hardy pinguicula and the S. psittacina and its hybrids out in the cloches.

I have divided loads.

I will post up open day details when I'm sure of what is happening.

Mike.

Will it be ok to post a link here?

Also are you still intending to join us for the Saturday evening for a meal ready for the morning?

Hi Ian,

i´m very happy, that i have the chance to see all these changes in June!

Let´s finish the Ping house ;-)

Maybe i can bring some rare Ping´s for Dianne, if she is still interesting in...

Let´s have a look at my growlist, i have started to grow some Pings more...

Best regards

Matze 

Hi Ian,

i´m very happy, that i have the chance to see all these changes in June!

Let´s finish the Ping house ;-)

Maybe i can bring some rare Ping´s for Dianne, if she is still interesting in...

Let´s have a look at my growlist, i have started to grow some Pings more...

Best regards

Matze

The Pinguicula house will have to wait until money allows but for now it is functional with made up benches.

And yes Dianne is always interested in new pings she will be very happy.

We have been doing even more in the garden this last week so who knows what will get done by the open day.

Cheers Mathias.

Ian.

It has been a busy spring and the greenhouses have had a spring clean. You can see the latest from my channel:

The plants are in full growth and shaping up nicely so expect some more pictures and videos as the open day approaches.

• Like 1

Any tricks with the glass cleaning Mike? Just water with a pressure washer?

Pressure washer first (with rain water) followed by the usual help from a window cleaner friend of mine and believe me it was hard work! Takes a full day without the pressure washer!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, 5 German guys, 2 Dutch are coming. And a quite a few who emailed me privately. Here is a quick preview now the plants are approaching full growth!

I hope this will encourage a few more of you to come along!

• Like 1

Guest paul y

impressive stuff, id like to buy one of each please mr king! good to see someone else using cat food, ive found the tuna food to be the most pungently attractive to flies, also a pint of casters from a fishing shop soon turns into a black cloud of flying plant food.

regards paul

• Like 1

Hi guys,

just a few days to the big event, and i´m very looking forward to it :-)

I can bring some plants, just of preorders, because i´m coming by plane. 

So if you are interested in something, please write me an email to: [email protected]

you can find my full list at my homepage: www.green-jaws.com

See you there.

Matze

As much as I have the determination not to miss this one open day I have to face facts that it is looking unlikely that our van will be repaired and through an mot before Saturday.

I was due to have more welding done today but the weather has ruined that chance, I have a new exhaust to fit, a driveshaft bearing replaced and I have to replace 2 track rod ends as well as a new tyre and then I have to book it in for the mot.

We will of course be continuing with our open day on the Sunday(details soon)

Ian.

Guest paul y

hire a van and bring lots more plants to sell to offset the cost?  im doing my best to make to yours on the sunday ian and im trying to drag some people with me who have money and not many plants!!

may well get the train up and a lift of my retired mate home

on that note if anyone is going to ians on the sunday and is traveling through or near Bristol and want a significant contribution to petrol to send me a message,  I can get to various places near Bristol if needed, you don't need to dedicate plant space to me either as I will pay ian to post my purchases on to me.

regards paul