Sign in to follow this  
manders

Veitcheii in the new greenhouse.

It seems a long time since i posted any nep photos for a whole bunch of reasons, not least of which all the hassle of getting a new greenhouse, anyway i tried one of my veitcheiis out in it over winter to see how it would get on, seems to be ok so far, this is the wistuba clone which is the only one i felt i wanted to risk over winter...

Photo is a liitle old now so the pollen is long gone,

12537536043_5c1edef5f0_z.jpg

Edited by manders
  • Like 4

Dang it! so also the Batu Lawi clone is a male...

My lowland clone flowered for me this summer and it was a male..

Dang it! so also the Batu Lawi clone is a male...

My lowland clone flowered for me this summer and it was a male..

I have 4 other clones, all flowering size now but not flowered yet, with any luck one will be female and we can get lots of veitcheii seeds, of all the neps i've grown veitcheiis are pretty near or at the top of my favourites list.

Great!! Veitchii are my favourite species as well... I also grow different clones, but only one male flowered for me. I have great hopes for a wonderful striped seedgrown specimen. Anyway, I'll let you know whenever one of my veitchiis will flower.

Cheers

Great!! Veitchii are my favourite species as well... I also grow different clones, but only one male flowered for me. I have great hopes for a wonderful striped seedgrown specimen. Anyway, I'll let you know whenever one of my veitchiis will flower.

Cheers

Cool, lets hope one of us at least gets a female.

Edited by manders

It's so rare that we see a mature veitchii, it's such a hard species to get right. I think that plant puts you in the premier league of growers. Although I have to bite the carpet and scream that you didn't harvest and freeze all that pollen....

• Like 1

Not sure i deserve that praise Gareth but I thank you for it. It's more good luck than deliberately choosing the right conditions and thats why im being so cautious moving the rest of the veitcheiis into the greenhouse.

I'm beginning to realise i just didnt have enough light for many species to do well but veitcheiis really suited the lower end of my light levels.

Erm... I forgot to get the stenophylla pollen as well :(

Ok, I'll let you off the naughty step punishment if you PROMISE to be good next time and harvest pollen for the freezer!

I'd put veitchii in the same group as truncata and robcantleyi, which is that they have specific requirements... mainly, being kept intermediate not highland in winter, and pretty dry. I've found all of them very vulnerable to stem rot. Cool, damp highland conditions can be fatal.

It might be that they're all epiphytic and not used to the sorts of wetter conditions we can give other neps.

I've actually started bringing all these species into the house and keeping them on a spare bedroom windowsill all winter- with better results.

All are tricky species to get right, and a healthy flowering veitchii is a rare sight indeed. I've got a LONG way to go before my Wistuba veitchii reach anything like the size of that plant of yours.

• Like 1

I've never found they need to be intermediate, 12C min is ample. I also grow in high humdity. Maybe the very large pots help with very long times between watering, the peat low down in the pot is damp but the top is just barely, if at all, moist. I honestly find veitcheiis and truncatas some of the most easy neps to grow. My robcantleyii on the other hand did not like the same conditions at all and threw off its mortal coil.

So- the exact opposite to my approach then! I wonder if the critical thing for these species is keeping good air circulation around the stem. As I was saying, stem rot seems the killer for these species.

Interesting discussion on Veitchiis!!

I also found that they like it a little bit warmer, but I keep them pretty wet, in pure LFS. As always, every growers's condition is different, so what has worked for me could not work for you.

And yes, they love good air circulation, same as other epiphytes.

What I find interesting is that twice they flowered for me in the 'rosette stage' and soon after they started to 'vine' ( it is not really a vine with veitchii), and never flowered again so far.

Edited by andrewmc

Mine have not had a great deal of air ciculation. Growing in the conservatory with no ventilation (so summer daytime is often is 40C+) and very high humidity.

Just been out poking my finger into the composts and the top couple of inches is very dry, but its moist way down below.

A few more vitcheiis, not in best condition mid winter, the pitchers are several months old at least. (time for a spring clean soon too :D )

12714996045_e349b6c5e2_z.jpg

12715027975_33d53d79ee_z.jpg

12715005105_1614131266_z.jpg

12715470304_96d80cbc62_z.jpg

12715167863_72ea63074c_z.jpg

Another boring boring one im trying out in the warm section of the greenhouse...

12715198773_18ed9571b6_z.jpg

12715205183_51c40b30bb_z.jpg

Edited by manders
  • Like 1

Gareth, I find the single most important factor with this species is sufficient light. They like, and can take, an awful lot of it.

I have the say the opposite, the leaves burn easily in direct sun and all mine grow in places that are too shady for many neps. Quite a conundrum isnt it?

Gareth, I find the single most important factor with this species is sufficient light. They like, and can take, an awful lot of it.

I agree, mine became bigger and grow faster after I change my light.

I had 3x18w and now, horticol LED90w ;)

I agree, mine became bigger and grow faster after I change my light.

I had 3x18w and now, horticol LED90w ;)

Mine are in shade and still get a lot more light than they would ever get off 3 flourescents, lets not confuse artificial light with 'a lot of light'. Its a different order of magnitude.

Didn't think I needed to hold anyone's hand, but that's obviously relative to other species of Nepenthes. I wouldn't put it next to my Sarracenia. Although, I have done that with villosa and didn't have a problem..

Mato, many nepenthes grow in full tropical sun and require that to do well. Veitcheiis arent in that category.