New species of utricularia?

Johanovich

Hi Guys,

I want to utilise the expertise that some people on cpukforum have of Utricularia species. In 2010 I came across a species of bladderwort in Tanzania in the rainforest. I do possess some taxonomical expertise myself, but not in plants. Yet I haven't seen any species so far that resembles the exact phenotypic layout of this specimen. So I was hoping that someone on this forum could enlighten me. Did I come across a new species?

Also I should mention that this species was growing in a thin water film on a rock so it's actually part aquatic and part terrestrial.

Here is a photograph of the specimen:

Utricularia_zps443ee1bc.jpg

I have some more photographs that I need to dig up, but if anyone could already shed some light on the matter that would be great!

Cheers,

Johan

Hi Johann,

reminds me on U. heterochroma somehow- though there should be no relatedness between a Central Am and an East Af plant...

But not only the morphology, but also the habitat sounds similar. I guess it has some kind of organs with which it sticks to the rocks?

The plant is amazing. Congratulations of it founding or maybe even discovery. I might sound a little less original, but was this species brought alive with possibility of its further spread in general cultivation or is it only a scientific discovery?

The plant is amazing. Congratulations of it founding or maybe even discovery. I might sound a little less original, but was this species brought alive with possibility of its further spread in general cultivation or is it only a scientific discovery?

Just a scientific discovery. Didn't think of grabbing some with me at the time ;)

Hi Johann,

reminds me on U. heterochroma somehow- though there should be no relatedness between a Central Am and an East Af plant...

But not only the morphology, but also the habitat sounds similar. I guess it has some kind of organs with which it sticks to the rocks?

Yes it does seem to have a lot of similarities with U. heterochroma, although the flower is different and I didn't notice any hairs on the plant. In fact it was a bit unclear how the plant was anchoring itself to the substrate. As the habitats are quite similar it is not unlikely this is a just case of parallel evolution.

Thanks for the flower pic - that looks definitely like a species within sect. Phyllaria.

That means: U. striatula. Or a close relative - but as far as I know, besides U. striatula there are no Phyllaria species described for Tanzania. So if it is not striatula, then it is a new one.

Edited by Martin Hingst

Hi Johann,

don't understand me wrong. I was NOT thinking of asking you for anything. Just when a plant is brought into cultivation, eventually it would become available.

No I understood what you meant, I wasn't trying to imply that you were asking for some of it.

Thanks for the flower pic - that looks definitely like a species within sect. Phyllaria.

That means: U. striatula. Or a close relative - but as far as I know, besides U. striatula there are no Phyllaria species described for Tanzania. So if it is not striatula, then it is a new one.

Like I said before, sadly I do not have any material. Otherwise it would be able to compare it with U. striatula.

Edited by Johanovich

Nice plant, congratulations! Flower looks like U.striatula but I also think this could be a new species. There are still many carnivorous plants species to discover around the world and especially in continent like Africa. I saw so many places with strange flowers (especially from Utricularia) in Angola that I am sure there are new stuffs to discover there...