Sign in to follow this  
Mr green

zoo med coral sun actinic 420 t5 ho 30" 25w

Hi guys would love to have your feed back on this bulb for growing cephalotus on my terrarium. They are used in aquarium for corals and have read up that they are using the short wavelength of blue!I'm only curious because I'm hopefully going to be getting a larger three foot tank soon and the top of the tank comes complete with a top with a single bulb! The chap selling it states bulbs of 30" are the right sizes hence the reason I need info on this bulb. Any feed back would be great. Thank you Stefan

Guest paul y

those bulbs are used to highlight the various pigmentations found in lps and sps coral, they lack large portions of the par spectrum needed to grow plants and in marine setups actinic bulbs are used with more broad spectrum bulbs to light an aquarium,

I have never grown cephs but judging from there natural range a daylight t5 6500k would be my starting point

Thanks for the reply Paul. I already have a lightwave t5 four bulb set up on my current terrarium was just hoping to make the mist out of the light fitting supplied! Do you know of any 30" bulbs suitable for my needs Paul? If not I'm going to try and transform the top of the tank to incorporate the t5 light. Regards Stefan.

Edited by Mr green

Guest paul y

I take it your running daylight bulbs in the t5 4 way? it can be beneficial to add red spectrum bulbs alongside the blues, as it will give you a much broader range of light from the par spectrum. if your using blues now use that spare fitting to add a tube from the red end of the spectrum (around 7200k)

there is a marine fish keeping shop in Weston (I have bought sps from them) they will be able to supply all you would need, for any other types hid, hps etc send me a pm I can supply kit through my stock or get near trade discounts

Hi Paul. Yes Im growing under lightwave t5 two foot four bulbs I've take two out of either side because at the moment my terrarium isn't that big so I was finding the heat was getting to much so I downsized to two bulbs and that keeps the tank at around 26-30 Celsius During the day with humidity at around 60 so it's not far off being good for my cephalotus! Like j said I'm hopefully going to get a three foot tank today so I might be able to add some of those reds into the tank if the temperature doesn't go through the roof.

Guest paul y

it always becomes a battle between heat and light. I have a solid state plasma by gravita on the way soon, im using it in a dr90 tent, 90k lumens of perfectly replicated sunlight with almost no ir footprint,

until then im using 2 2ft 4 way lightwaves in the bottom half for propagating, and a 250 watt halide for the top half (the tent is 2m tall so i have 2 separate 1 cubic m grow areas in the same tent) i use a hs 5 inch ruck fan controlled by an sms enviro monitor to maintain temps and humidity.

tents and hid lighting and grow kit from hydro shops have a lot of uses and applications for cp growers, i have friend who grows cacti in a tent perfect replication of any environment, set up drippers and you can even make it rain!!

go to greens horticulture web site for ideas and inspiration

• Like 1