Milled spagnum

Hi,

I had some live-ish spagnum in stock and some dried (NZ?) sphag in a bag but really wanted some finer stuff for seeds. Something similar to the 'No Damp Off' I have seen folk in the US using.

I had a look around at prices and bought myself a 'mini food chopper' from a well known catalogue store for about £8.

I had a quick try and it turned this:

Lps small

into this:

Lps milled small

in a few moments.

I am now sure how it will cope with a mix of LPS, perlite and orchid compost but at least it has a warranty!

Cheers,

Steve

Be careful chopping Sphagnum moss in this way. Sphagnum can contain the fungus spore Sporotrichosis, which can be inhaled in the very fine dust generated with this way of processing and is not a health condition you would want to catch. As a general rule wearing plastic gloves and a face mask is recommended when handling Sphagnum moss.

Lots of stuff about this on websites, including the ICPS (Barry Rice).

If chopping in this way then you can reduce dust by adding a small amount of water, though add too much and it will not mill very well. Do it outside and also wear a mask, etc.

Best wishes

Tim

Hi Neil,

I think that is silicosis is it not? I don't see any need to break up perlite as it is pretty fine anyway and I generally do my medium mixing outside then pot up in the greenhouse, by which time the it is damp and the dust risk is minimised.

All good advice though, anything particulate in the lungs is not great.

Cheers,

Steve

I needed a small quantity of fine Perlite in order to mix tiny seeds into it and then use a tea strainer to sieve the mixture onto compost to try to sow the seeds evenly. It put the Perlite in a thick grade polythene bag and then stamped on it with my foot.

I needed a small quantity of fine Perlite in order to mix tiny seeds into it and then use a tea strainer to sieve the mixture onto compost to try to sow the seeds evenly. It put the Perlite in a thick grade polythene bag and then stamped on it with my foot.

Use sand, much safer

I've milled some Sphagnum too for some Nepenthes seeds.

It worked ok, except the Sphagnum apparently wasn't completely dead and started regrowing and overcrowding my seedlings.

In regards to the Sporotrichosis spores: interestingly the fungus itself has never been found on live moss, only the spores on dried sphagnum

• 8 years later...

From what I heard and read boiling is the only safe way to kill moss spores is boiling. However, most sphagnum purshased here are well treated allready and dont grow anything from spores. I am happy every time a batch sprouts live sphagnum. Naturally I dont boil my moss.