Sign in to follow this  
carnivorous triffid

Growing tuberous sundews in UK

I have a couple of tuberous sundews - peltata and auriculata, about 5cm tall which are growing under lights at the moment for 8-10 hours a day. Ideally I want to keep them outside in the greenhouse so they can get natural light. But I think it is too cold for them. Temperatures where I am are about 7 celcius at max and at night can be freezing.

Do you think they will put on much growth at those temperatures? Obiously if it is going to be close to freezing, I will take them inside

I kept my tuberous Droseras outside since the temperatures were above freezing. Sometimes they even had small frosts. The lowest temperatures they were exposed to was -3*C and it had totally no effect on them. Because it eventually got clouded, I decided to hide my plants to my basement and grow under artificial light. The temperature they are exposed right now are around 3-8*C. I think it is very good temperature for them. I keep them under 240W, 8:30am-11:00pm on 2square meter surface. They seem to appreciate those conditions very much. When It was sunny outside and temperatures were not below 0*C, I was taking them out, so they could grasp some sun light. If you have barely any light outside, it is better to keep them under artificial light. The temperatures you described are very good for those plants. I would just recommend to prevent them from frosts.

At a guess (I've never grown tuberous Drosera) I think your photo period is far too short. I think you need them on closer to the 12 hour mark. I recommend you ask Dieter (that's also his user name on here) as he grows lots of tuberous Drosera. On his website (http://tuberous-drosera.net) he uses T5s for 10-11 hours a day but that's also with some natural light thrown in.

14 -16 hours lighting is summer conditions, why go for so long?