Bog garden advice help needed please

bogmonster

Hi I am hoping someone here can help me, I am helping a school to turn their underused, unsafe, leaky pond into a bog garden, the pond is approx 4.5m x 3m and approx 75cm depth (though could be deeper thats as far as I can push a stick into) we have alot of volunteers to help empty the pond but very little budget to refill. I have a background in gardening though no experience with ponds or bogs my ideas so far are

- empty pond

- put a layer of gravel in to a depth of approx 30cm (maybe rubble if we cant get any budget)

- Puncture alot of holes above the gravel layer and fill with combination of mushroom compost and soil mix (if we can fund raise £500 that I have been quoted) and slushy debris cleared out of the pond. If we cant get the budget hopfully some free horse manure and slushy stuff cleared from pond - hopefully find some cash for some top soil to mix in.

- cut off liner about 20 cm below the final level of the bog garden to blend the edge into the surrounding area and allow extra drainage.

The bog garden is in the wildlife area and although I have read some great tips for bulking out the bottom of the pond on here using plastic pots ect we want to keep everything natural and as enviromentally sound as we can, I understand mushroom compost has peat but as it is a waste product and sounds ideal we are prepared to bend slightly on this (if we have the budget) unless anyone can suggest something better.

How does this sound to you experts? i know it is alot deeper than the bog gardens that you are making, what I am wondering is whether it will become a waterlogged mess with no oxygen for plant roots. Do I need to puncture the bottom of the liner as well, I was thinking the gravel area will act as a resevoir - Oh forgot to put to place a leaky hose in the bottom so it can be watered if needed. We are planning on planting it up with native plants and extending the wildlife area - will sundews grow in this enviroment amongst other plants? they would be a real hit with the children and maybe inspire the next generation.

Thanks for reading this and please let me know your thoughts.

I'm no expert, just a hobbyist, but I can tell you that some of the growing media you you are thinking of using (especially the horse manure) is nutrient rich, which CP's will not tolerate.

You need to be looking at stuff like Sphagnum moss peat or, as an alternative to peat, one of the many coco fibre products that are available.

As for the actual construction, I'm sure there are many experienced people on here that will answer those questions for you.

Best regards,

Ian.

Thankyou for your response, I understand that manure will be really rich but it is free and water retentative but too boggy on its own but its free!

I appreciate that I am not on the right site for a native / natural bog garden but I am guessing that I need to achieve similar conditions to those that cp plants require as far as moisture goes, though I probably need a richer growing medium as the majority of plants will be getting nutrients from it. i would however after spending time browsing this site love to put some sundews in as I am sure they will be fascinating to the children so if I go for a rich medium I need to keep an area aside for these.

Thankyou

If you can create a totally seperate area with peat/perlite/sand mix that doesnt communicate with the bog water or soil, it could be done with say a raised bed, with a liner partly submerged into the bog and rocks to cover the additional liner height, any drainage holes in the sundew liner would need to be above the bog level.

cps typically grow in peat bogs, areas that have constantly rising and lowering water tables with a slightly acidic ph range that are typically very low in available nutrients (npk), this is why these plants have evolved the insect catching mechanisms, wet or boggy areas that you can find alongside lakes and rivers are often nutrient rich areas and this is where you would find plants that like rich but wet conditions,

what sort of bog are you trying to create?

do not use man made rubble it will contaminate the bog, don't use any limestone or any other sedimentary or calciferous stones as they will slowly dissolve raising the ph of the bog, decide between a peat cp acid bog or a lake/river bog, you cant do both in the same liner together without separating the areas and the peat cp bog will need to be higher than the rest to prevent nutrient leaching