Australian Aldrovanda pics (with flowers)

Lavindil

Hi guys, this is my out-door tank . Notice that it has clay on the bottom (it is important to give Boro to the plant), a thermometer / heater, CO2 injector, monocots (to inject O2 and CO2 in the water, and consume excess of nutrients and prevent algae growth), and water from a pond full of aquatic organisms (food).

1379747_412309908870361_213774959_n.jpg

The water is dark because of the leaves of Drosera, Juncus, Carex sp. and others in the bottom. Tannin appears to have a role in plant development, and is found in its natural habitat.

1376551_412309965537022_627442146_n.jpg

They came still green.

1380330_412310168870335_211684743_n.jpg

Juncus, U. gibba and food... I mean, Biomphalaria sp. :bad:

936004_412310585536960_1273135196_n.jpg

They soon became red, and look, they have flowers. :give_rose:

988850_432475760187109_273377323_n.jpg

Temperatures here are around 32 oC.

1469793_432476096853742_1708986689_n.jpg

Edited by Lavindil
  • Like 2

The tank was ready two months before I put the aldrovandas in, it is a common turtle tank. First I putted the clay on the bottom, than I planted Papyrus, Juncus, Typha and others; I added tap water; added Carex tea with some boiled Carex leaves; after 3 weeks I added pond water and snails. When I received the aldovandas I also build a CO2 injector with yeast, water, sugar, a plastic bottle.

Edited by Lavindil

Thanks for your informations. Two last questions: where is the setup placed? Does it get full sunlight,or is it partially shaded?

Oh,and what kind of clay is it that you mentioned? I allways thought the use of peat it recommended for the ground...

Edited by lilacina

The plants are on a shelf near to a wall. I think they take 3-4 hours of direct sun light, and as said the Brazilian sun works very well and they become vivid red. I feared the overheating, since when the sun is above de tank it becomes very hot. I’m not sure the Japanese ones will survive. When they arrive I’ll try to grow then in another place.

And no Martin, I never tried carrageen. But thank you for your picture, There isn't to may pics of thys plant, and I looked for that picture for weeks, years ago, imaginig if some day i would have the plasure to grow than, sice this plant is still very rare here.

I used a sugar gel (made of 100g sugar and half a packet of cake glaze, boiled in 125 ml water until it cleared, and filled hot into a half liter plastic bottle). After cooling down it will become solid like - well - cake glaze :-) Makes the fermentation process more uniform, without the risk of a boilover (if it ever happens you know what I mean :-D)

I made the observation that the flowers set seed easily - so it is a good idea to watch out for seed or seedlings when cleaning the tank.

Have fun - these are beautiful plants!

The clay I'm using is just my backyard soil, that is a heavy soil (clay like). I don't use peat because it's hard to find, and I'm adding this kind of soil because I read that it is rich in boron, and Aldrovanda use to have boron deficience.