C.f. "Big Boy" Pictures

mobile

very nice colour Carl,are they grown under LED's ,also like your top dressing

It was growing under 1 x 840 and 1 x 827 18W fluorescent tubes - a combination that I now favour over daylight (865) fluorescents. It gained the majority of its colouration under the fluorescents and then approximately one week ago I moved it under my metal halide lamp.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Carl, does the 35w Halide need any control gear, ballast etc? I've been looking at a 70w and 150w MH set up, but they need ballasts.

I'm thinking of getting a Heliamphora you see and I'm thinking MH would give more intensity than my CFL, I've read that Helis like plenty of light.

Cheers,

Ian.

Carl, does the 35w Halide need any control gear, ballast etc? I've been looking at a 70w and 150w MH set up, but they need ballasts.

I'm thinking of getting a Heliamphora you see and I'm thinking MH would give more intensity than my CFL, I've read that Helis like plenty of light.

Cheers,

Ian.

As far as I'm aware, all legally available metal halide lamps in UK require ballasts, including my 35W.

Quite decent Heliamphora colouration can be had under LED....

04b0TSX.jpg

Ah, thanks for that. Nice looking plant. So they should be fine under my CFL in that case.

Not sure what you mean by legally available, didn't realize there were illegal ones.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean by legally available, didn't realize there were illegal ones.

I can't find the reference now, but I recall reading some time ago that self-ballast metal halides are not permitted in EU, or may it was UK, because of their inneficiencies. Maybe the market has changed since, but all of the supplier of low wattage metal halides that I can find appear to be in China.

Ah, I see.

I'll give them a miss anyway and just stick to my CFL for now.

Just have to wait for Wistuba to start shipping again.

I'll give them a miss anyway and just stick to my CFL for now.

Just keep an eye on the light output levels, as they can diminish significantly over time. Cheap light meter always a handy tool :wink:

• Like 1

Mhmm

Now i hate you

You and your stupid awesome plants :P

I don't have a very large collection, so is relatively easy for me to make the conditions good for them. It is a lot more difficult, and expensive, to create such conditions for a larger collection though.

• 1 year later...

3.jpg

Cephalotus "Big Boy" doesn't have reputation being dark clone but  as Carl did with his pics, I also can confirm  that this clone becomes quite dark under my conditions. I'll update this thread in the spring when all the Cephs show their best color...

p1120008_9b44e_31754875.jpg

Edited by dimitar