Darlingtonia root cooling ideas

Swerfer

Hello everyone,

this is my Darlingtonia californica https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/q71/s720x720/1469926_255640387922616_587111702_n.jpg

This is a picture of the past growing season.

I got it when it was just a seedling.

I live in central and southern Italy and summer temperatures reach really crazy, Yet I have found a method of growing :laugh2:

Terracotta vase, dry substrate composed of sphagnum moss and live on the surface, terracotta saucer and shade cloth in front.

I never had much luck with them in the greenhouse so I planted one out in my pond margin bog garden, they're spreading like wildfire in there, I dug up a few for someone and they all seem to be connected under the peat by long thick roots.

Trev, have you ever posted a picture of this Pond margin bog garden? I made a cursory look through topics you have started and didn't see anything from that, do you mind point me in the right direction if there is a good picture of it out there?

Thanks in advance!

Oh I like that bit :laugh1:

It looks like you've been reading posts on US sites, they do appear to have serious problems growing Darlingtonia.

Mine grow very well here in the UK without any need to cool roots. Last year I installed several thermometers just to see what temperatures my Darlingtonia were enjoying. The raw data is here http://floridacpsociety.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cobra&action=display&thread=784. Have a look to see if you think your conditions will be about the same.

Fred

I am going to plant a load of darlingtonia in to pure moss as you grow yours, do you water them everyday?

Fred

I am going to plant a load of darlingtonia in to pure moss as you grow yours, do you water them everyday?

The trays are flooded and then I water again when the level drops an inch or so. I keep the Sphagnum happy, that looks after the Darlingtonia.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My temp here is always 30 - 36°C. Those keeping Darlingtonia in this range. May I know what soil you are using and how wet. I am going to remove seeds from fridge and want to prepare the soil for this hot conditions.

Edited by tish