Darlingtonia root cooling ideas

Swerfer

I live in the Netherlands, so weather is similar to the UK. First I thought I was already in the clear, because the containers are big enough, have a lot of aerated substrate and are white. Heating is likely to occur because of reflection/no heat absorption. But reading allot about Darlingtonia on the internet, that cultivation of Darlingtonia is doomed and the fact they are so rarely distributed among growers, scares me. I have no greenhouse and these white containers are for direct sunlight in open air.

I have no experience yet in using these white containers with Darlingtonia, so I am just thinking ahead, having a backup plan as a precaution.

Next Spring will be the starting season.

........... that cultivation of Darlingtonia is doomed..........

Oh I like that bit :laugh1:

It looks like you've been reading posts on US sites, they do appear to have serious problems growing Darlingtonia.

Mine grow very well here in the UK without any need to cool roots. Last year I installed several thermometers just to see what temperatures my Darlingtonia were enjoying. The raw data is here http://floridacpsociety.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cobra&action=display&thread=784. Have a look to see if you think your conditions will be about the same.

I never had much luck with them in the greenhouse so I planted one out in my pond margin bog garden, they're spreading like wildfire in there, I dug up a few for someone and they all seem to be connected under the peat by long thick roots.

Temps in the summer here are 49 - 50C , full sun all day and never lost a plant even in small 7x7 cm pot...

These readings must have been taken in direct sun, whereas surface air temperature is usually measured inside shaded, ventilated boxes. Looking at the data for Plovdiv, it looks like daily highs in summer are around 30, and nights bottom out somewhere below 20.

I do think the nightly temperature drops are important for many CPs ... in some parts of the States, as with the area I'm in at present, it just never cools down enough in summer for some plants.

• 4 weeks later...

interesting, when people dont live in a country and say your temp is blah blah !!, OK so i live in South AU , average temp in summer is what 35 who cares, its been up to 47 c here actually higher at my house, and yes in the shade recorded temp! !!, so to say to some one aahh that's not you temp , best they go and have a look for them selves, my sun temp the other day was 57c when the digital thermometer died .

so you all going to say nahh that not true your average is blah , , come over have look for your self I well even let you camp out side in a tent out the back yard , its a very big back yard, you will last hhmmm may be 1 hour ! at best . its 11am here now and 37c all ready .

so dont say what some one else's temps are when you never been there to see !!. just rubbish !

Edited by snapperhead51

I have to put my plants in large Polly foam boxes filled with wet live sphag to keep them cool , misting and fogging ,water cooled air con, a lot , or they die here, will depend on your country's climate to how you are able to keep them , with all plants, what i need to do dont mean its going to work for you in your country and other way round. .

So, the temperature in the sun is going to be massive. Stick a thermometer in the sun in high summer in Norway and it'll get up to 50C+

The maximum shade temperature anywhere is going to be a factual figure, so nobody is denying you live somewhere that gets to forty odd degrees.

Try sitting in a greenhouse in full sun in England when it 's 32C outside. You won't last an hour, like in your back yard.

so dont say what some one else's temps are when you never been there to see !!. just rubbish !

Officially recorded and measured temperatures in the shade outside here in Plovdiv 45.2C in the hottest months, so can u imagine what happen inside the greenhouse in full sun.... but anyway, it seems Fred is right above :biggrin:

So, the temperature in the sun is going to be massive. Stick a thermometer in the sun in high summer in Norway and it'll get up to 50C+

Try sitting in a greenhouse in full sun in England when it 's 32C outside. You won't last an hour, like in your back yard.

try working in my G/H when it 49c out side in full sun then 32c is for pussies !! were still waring jumpers at 32 c gesshhh and its under 10% humidity or less to. and its 47c in the shad too not in the sun !! its was 57 ++ in the sun with cloud cover on the day . you have know idea what you trying to say with our weather and temps not a clue!!.

Edited by snapperhead51

no Fred it is relevant , be cause there's not only you growing these plants !! many have problems with weather ,climate , temps ect, so knowing that some one in the now recorded As the hottest city in the world !!, can grow these , is may be giving some hope to some one that thinks it can not be done !. all though difficult .

Edited by snapperhead51
  • Like 2

John,

All I see is you having an indignant rant because your friend was rightly asked questions about information he supplied. I may have had more regard for this if you had behaved similarly when he was gainsaying accurate information supplied by others.

Edited by FredG