Sign in to follow this  
Vince81

Utricularia of the Phyllaria section

Hello all,

I would like to know how many species/strains are in cultivation of these adorable beauties, and who grow them successfully ? I have seen some german growers have very good results with them, but I don't understand the language, and so, although google translate is very helpful, the GFP forum stays quite a dark place for me :).

I have been growing them for a few months, and they seem to survive at least, which is a pretty cool first achievement :).

Not sure whether there are in dormancy or not, even though I think so, but I can't wait them to spread and eventually make flowers.

U. striatula {Kelog Sembilan, Sumatra}

IMG_4548.jpg

IMG_4551.jpg

U. striatula {Sibuyan, Philippines} :

IMG_4552.jpg

IMG_4555.jpg

U. moniliformis {Kelog Sembilan, Sumatra} :

IMG_4556.jpg

A not-on-purpose cutting that I did while I was removing some smothering moss. Seems it is recovering :

IMG_4557.jpg

U. furcellata [Gg Murud, Sarawak}. A very recent and unique germinating seed :

IMG_4543.jpg

I know there are at least some strains from Taiwan and Hong Kong. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to make the seeds of the Taiwan one germinate.

I wish more of them were in cultivation : U. inthanonensis, U. spinomarginata, U. phusoidaoensis, U. garrettii... :heart:

Edited by Vince81

I wish more of them were in cultivation : U. inthanonensis, U. spinomarginata, U. phusoidaoensis, U. garrettii... :heart:

and not to forget: U pulchra!!

Congrats Vince - and good luck for your growing Phyllaria collection :-)

• Like 1

Wow, my compliments and congrats to get so much species of this section! I am after these for about two years, but so far no success. If you would have some for swap in the future, please remember me... :-)

Well, this is a very good news, I can't wait to see them opened :yes:.

Utricularia striatula {Sibuyan, Philippines} :

14183453445_e38351fb36_o.jpg

13996793030_616b4d41a1_o.jpg

• Like 2

And here it is, the flower of U. striatula Sibuyan, Philippines. Quite small, around 5mm :

14370799406_e7d0bda74e_o.jpg

• Like 3

I grew Utricularia striatula while I was in Taiwan in peat. I used a plastic tub with a lid so the humidity was high. When I got back to the states, I put it in an identical setup but the plant melted. I don't know what I did wrong, since some Utricularia biloba I also brought back with me thrived in the same setup. 

You can see how much the plant grew from when I first got it. 

DSC_1435_1.jpg

DSC_1436_1.jpg

DSC_1458_1.jpg

DSC_1459_1.jpg

DSC_1460_1.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

The plant in the last photo was flowering; unfortunately I did not get any pictures of the flower. ( #`Д´)

I would love to have another chance at growing this species. 

Thank you for your contribution to this thread. Pity you don't have any close-up of the flower though :).

I need to repot this plant but here are the leaves as well :

18070327632_a1be6fbcd6_o.jpg

And the flower in their terrarium environment :

18073666405_0131bf3e72_o.jpg

I've quickly attempted to pollinate them.

• Like 1

Beautiful flowers! The plant in my first two pictures just melted away after flowering but the one in the last picture didn't. I think I've read somewhere that Utricularia striatula tends to die after flowering but your plant looks great! If I could grow them again I would probably use sphagnum moss instead of peat.