Sign in to follow this  
TCurrell

lilium superbum seeds help

Hi guys, i recently acquired some Lilium Superbum (aka turks cap lily or american tiger lily) seeds and was wondering if anyone has had sucess with them before? i have been told to place them in a back with some wet tissue in a light warm place for a few weeks then place in the fridge after that for a bit before placing them back in the warm light place until they shoot.

I have started this with half the seeds today but this seems like a lot of hassle that could turn out to be unnecessary.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You should find these will germinate readily for you if you sow them on the surface of your chosen mix with the hilum inserted first into the compost ( i.e. sown on end with the pointy end down ). Cover with a few mm of grit and leave somewhere, outside where they will be cool, but will not freeze solid, if possible, or in a cool greenhouse, shed etc. I f growing in a sheltered greenhouse etc. then I prefer to just lightly cover with fine grade vermiculite. They should be through in around 90 days. For the first year they look like this. For this species you should have flowers after around 3 to 4 years! Good growing !!

Liliorhiza%20seedlings.jpg

[ These are Fritillaria seedlings from California, but they look the same as Lilium seedlings in the first year ]

Edited by longma
  • Like 1

Just an update, i had them on a windowsill in a mini propigator doing just fine then my damn cat knocked 'em over. I'll have to start all over now as they are dead a s a doormouse :(