Sign in to follow this  
Harro

Ceph. follicularis "Wilhelma"

Hello,

some month ago I saw on Ebay UK that someone was selling a Cep. follicularis "Wilhelma" for a lot f mony. It was said that this clone was made by the Wilhelma/Germany. This is a botanical garden and zoo in Stuttgart/Germany not far from my home.

I never heard about this clone and called the gardner at the Wihelm who is responsible for the cephalotus. He told me that this clone was not bred by them. There first cephalotus Gigant they had was bought from Carow. So the Wilhelma is to my opinon nothing else as the gigant clone from Carow. The gardner said also there is someone who likes to make much money with a fantasy name and the great thing is, fools buy the plant.

Harro

Edited by Harro
  • Like 2

Well said Harro. What we have here is a situation that is being abused by people who should know better. Many cephs are simply named from the location or even nursery where they are grown, thus they have a name, and it's just that, a name, not a distinction. This is where people are misled and should think more carefully before parting with their money.

• Like 3

Well said Harro!

Well said Pete !

Same is with almost all Cephalotus which are nothing more than just typical but it seems people want to grow "names" not plants.

A shame indeed but many people take advantage from this situation and rip off the people making a lot of money. :thumbsdown:

However, it seems that this vicious practice will not stop soon :thumbsdown:

• Like 2

its just a name not a whole new specie , cultivar , clone , what ever you want to name it call it,or present it as, mainly a ceph is a ceph ,with a few variations, like , colour , size , a few shape changes or skin variations or growth habit occasionally , , many be soon there may be some thing totally different come along ,who knows ! may be the next thing is location data plants, seed , hybrids, crossings ,

Edited by snapperhead51