CPs from Victoria, south eastern AustraliaSome CP images taken in the state of Victoria in south eastern Australia from the past few years. When I fir

Some CP images taken in the state of Victoria in south eastern Australia from the past few years. When I first joined the forum over 10 years ago now, many of these had different names. There will be more name changes in the next few years which will hopefully clear up some of the current confusion in the south east of Australia.

I’m not sure what to call the first species anymore as it doesn’t fit into any of the current descriptions of upright tuberous Drosera in Victoria. It used to be called D. peltata but the red plant from NSW that was once called D. peltata var. gracilis is now that plant. This species clearly doesn’t fit into D. hookeri which currently leaves it in limbo. Hopefully this will be sorted soon- I believe that somebody is currently working on it. For all you growers in Europe with D. peltata on their growing lists, this is probably the species you are growing.

Drosera used to be peltata-

peltataMurtoa_131.jpg

peltatafyans1_127.jpg

peltatagrampians1_128.jpg

peltatalangwarrin1_130.jpg

An orange form

DSC_2466_099.jpg

This is why they’re called sundews

peltatagrampians4_129.jpg

Droserapeltatahabitat2Macedon081003_082.jpg

Drosera auriculata. Not much confusion over this one. There are 3 main forms of this species in Victoria, the typical dark green form from the foothills, the pale yellowish green form from the sandy coast and the deep red form from sub-alpine mountains.

DroseraauriculataBrisbaneRanges260904_076.jpg

Droseraauriculata4BrisbaneRanges260904_077.jpg

Red sub-alpine form

aurciulatawilliam_095.jpg

DSC_2086_088.jpg

What we used to call Drosera peltata var. gracilis was changed a few years back to simply D. peltata. This was OK for the deep red specimens found in NSW but never quite fit the plants in more southern habitats. I have heard that the greener southern forms will revert back to simply Drosera gacilis in the future as somebody is working on this at the moment. This is the southern form.

Droserapeltatavargracilis3HG-DunkeldrdGrampians06_083.jpg

A rare hybrid found in suburban Melbourne. This is a natural sterile cross between D. used to be peltata and D. southern form gracilis/peltata (it’s confusing isn’t it…)

peltxgraclangwarrin_126.jpg

Drosera hookeri. Used to be called D. peltata var. foliosa when I first joined the forum, rightly it is now a species in its own right. It’s generally an inland species that favours open grassy areas.

hookerigrampians2_107.jpg

hookerigrampians1_106.jpg

hookerigrampians3_108.jpg

Droserapeltata2LakeEildon181003_084.jpg

Drosera macrantha ssp. planchonii shows little variation across its range. Some forms are deep red but they are generally a deep green. Other variations that I’ve found include pale yellow forms. Generally grows to around 60cms but a location at the Grampians N.P grows to around 1.5 metres.

Grampians_104.jpg

BrisRanges2_073.jpg

• Like 1

Drosera aberrans. Wherever you go, the colours very considerably. A particularly large form grows near where I live, up to 9cms in diameter and comparable to D. whittakerii in South Australia.

Grampians2_105.jpg

Dunolly2_102.jpg

Dunolly1_101.jpg

DSC_2127_093.jpg

Droserawhittakeriisspaberrans1Pyrete200606_087.jpg

aberransmtwilliam1_056.jpg

aberransmtwilliam2_057.jpg

Some plants in flower

LittleDesert2_111.jpg

LittleDesert1_110.jpg

BrisRanges1_072.jpg

brisrangesaberrans4_071.jpg

Drosera pygmaea. Wherever you go, always the same, just bigger at some locations.

pygmaeawilsonsprom_133.jpg

pygmaeagrampians1_132.jpg

Droserapygmaeawaterhole7Grampians062_085.jpg

Drosera spatulata. Both a pink and white flowered form are found in Victoria. The white tends to occur in sandy coastal areas while the pink in montane regions.

Beenakspatulata_069.jpg

Cranbournespat1_075.jpg

spatgrampians1_134.jpg

Droseraspatulata10Cranbourne231005_086.jpg

Drosera binata. Only the regular T-formed plants grow down here but they can vary in colouration. Those in eastern Victoria tend to be a lot redder. In the Grampians we have found a pale green form similar to the giant var. dichotoma (similar in colour only, not size). Unless there has been a recent fire, these things are almost impossible to find.

Emerging from dormancy following a fire

Angleseabinata3_060.jpg

Angleseabinata2_059.jpg

Angleseabinata1_058.jpg

binatawilsonsprom_070.jpg

Droserabinata272210HG-DunkeldrdGrampians06_079.jpg

Droserabinata102210HG-DunkeldrdGrampians06_078.jpg

Pale green form

IMG_1829_109.jpg

• Like 1

Drosera glanduligera. Found throughout the state in a range of habitats from the coast to the barren inland. Largest I’ve seen were around 6cm across.

Murtoa_125.jpg

Anglesea1_061.jpg

glandAnglesea_103.jpg

Droseraglanduligera6Anglesea120904_081.jpg

Droseraglanduligera1Anglesea071003_080.jpg

Drosera arcturi. Found in alpine bogs and beds of sphagnum.

MtBawBaw7_118.jpg

MtBawBaw6_117.jpg

MtBawBaw5_116.jpg

MtBawBaw3_114.jpg

MtBawBaw2_113.jpg

MtBawBaw1_112.jpg

on a ski slope

MtBawBaw4_115.jpg

Utricularia dichotoma. Until recently this was a single species found across Victoria. A recent paper by Richard Jobson has created 2 new species in Victoria and our first endemic CP!

wulgulmerang_142.jpg

Beechworth_066.jpg

Beechworth2_067.jpg

Beenakdichotoma_068.jpg

Utriculariadichotoma2Beenak210104_138.jpg

the tuberous form

Utriculariadichotoma5Jamieson131104_141.jpg

Utriculariadichotoma3Jamieson131104_140.jpg

Utriculariadichotomapalemauve2Jamieson131104_136.jpg

Utricularia barkeri. One of the two newly separated species. Found in south western Victoria particularly the Grampians region (also in SA and Tas).

barkerigrampians2_063.jpg

barkerigrampians3_064.jpg

barkerigrampians1_062.jpg

barkerilangwarrin1_065.jpg

white flowered, antho-free form

Utriculariadichotomawhite3HentyHighwayGrampians241003_137.jpg

• Like 1

Utricularia grampiana. Victorias first endemic species. Found only in the Grampians N.P and nearby Langi Ghiran State Park. I’ve posted images of this species before labelled as U. aff. dichotoma. Finally it got a name!

DSC_2166_098.jpg

DSC_2133_094.jpg

DSC_2122_092.jpg

DSC_2101_090.jpg

DSC_2098_089.jpg

with red D. auriculata

DSC_2159_097.jpg

Habitat

DSC_2145_096.jpg

Utricularia beaugleholei. Uncommon throughout Victoria generally in more inland areas. I’m lucky to have a few populations close to where I live.

A nice triple header.

Murchisonwhirl_123.jpg

Murchisongroup2_121.jpg

Murchisongroup_120.jpg

Some recent discoveries. Whi8te and mauve flowered forms. I’ve never seen images or records of these variations before.

Typical and antho-free together.

Murchisonboth_119.jpg

A triple headed antho-free specimen

Murchisonwhite_124.jpg

A mauve flower

Murchisonmauve_122.jpg

Utricularia lateriflora. From coastal areas and not very common in Victoria.

Cranbourne_074.jpg

Utricularia australis. A common plant is many waterholes.

DSC_3350_100.jpg

Utricularia tenella.

tenellagrampians1_135.jpg

• Like 1

thank a lot Sean for sharing these pics

I's not commun to see tuberous drosera in nature.

I'm impressed by the big red D.Abberans could it be a separate specie ?

Could you tell us about the land where D.glanduligera is growing.

Is the substrat very humid or not, the lignt very strong or not ?

I have every years flowers of this plant but they never opened and i dont know

what is wrong on my culture!

by

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...