my little project

Hi! I'm new in this forum and i'd like to show my highland terrarium.

I only have five nepenthes: inermis, aristolochides, lowii, flava and lavicola.

I bought them from wistuba six weeks ago and till now they haven't shown any growth stop.

I use a mix 1:1 perlite and coco fibre. I washed the coco before using it. Now the runoff water is at 0.02ec

I don't need to cool the terrarium at the moment but i built a cooling unit with a dehumidifier and a pc radiator because in summer the temperature reach 30/35°C during the day and i don't want to stress/kill them.

The light is a led unit build by me. I use 6 xml neutral white and 1 xml warm white. The panel uses 50 watt. I'm planning to get a bigger terrarium in the future so I get an oversized heatsink to increase the power of the panel if i'll need it.

The growth was a bit slow campared to the last weeks during the last two weeks probably because at the moment they don't have traps to catch insects and the soil hasn't any kind of nutrient. Once they'll open their first pitchers I'll start feeding them with some ants. If at the first of January they won't develop any traps I'll use coffee (1/5 strenght) or an orchid fertiliser (1/5 strenght).

Day : 19/20°C 80% humidity

Night: 7/8°C 90/95% humidity

Light: 14 hours

Any tip is well accepted (especially grammar correction since I'm looking to improve my english :mail1: )

zuwc.jpg

n9f7.jpg

9b73.jpg

b6zq.jpg

xs7m.jpg

hyc5.jpg

Edited by smoop94
  • Like 1

Capital letters on name of months please :laugh: . Read your post through before submitting and check for red lines to help with spelling.

Your condition seem perfect for highland nepenthes. They should grow quickly for you, though small.

I don't think the traps will be big enough to catch ants by January. Coffee and orchid food should be good enough for supplementing the nitrogen.

Welcome to the CPUK forum btw :woot: !

• Like 1

I would give the plants all the time they need to produce pitchers large enough to be fed with insects (or chicken soup!). If they fail to produce pitchers with the next few new leaves, that's not a problem of lack of nutrients, and instead, you would risk to mess up things even more using coffee or fertilizers. Your conditions are great anyway, just give the plants the time they need, they are highland species after all.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi I need a piece of advice. In the last two weeks my nepenthes inermis and aristolochioides shown a yellowish color on most of their leaf even if they are producing pitcher. Is that a disease or a deficit? I grow the in a 1:1 mix of perlite and coco fibre. The ec of the runoff is at 0.023. 20/22°C during the day and 6/7°C during the night. Humidity always over 80%.

http://imageshack.com/a/img59/9306/l6ce.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img268/6987/pklp.jpg

ciao Andrea,

I wouldn't worry, your conditions are fine, we're sure that you washed your coir with plenty of water, the plants just started growing in a new set up, so it's normal that the older leaves - grown in different conditions - die off a bit quicker than expected, while new leaves adapted to the new conditions appear. And the very last leaves look better than the previous ones, so I'm sure it's just a matter of getting adapted. The next new leaves they will produce will surely last longer. As soon as some new pitchers appear, feed them with the chicken soup you know, and you'll see a dramatic improvement...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

here there are some shots of my plants. They look very healthy. The only plant that looks a bit messy is the N. flava that has still not pitchered but i think it's just a question of time, i can see her first trap on her new leaf. do you know why n. lavicola doesn't color its pichers? From some photos i saw that its juvenile pitcher are pretty dark and her fist pitcher as you can see it's pretty dark but the others are totally green. I don't think that the light is the problem since all the other neps show some very nice colours.

Another question is how do you find with these kind of pots? i'm using them from the end of october and even if they looks great for areation they continue losing soil. i'm thinking to use only death long fiber sphagnum instead of coco and perlite. The sphagnum should limits these problem. what's your opinion?

2v8ocj5.jpg

auazqe.jpg

ok7kly.jpg

258v7dk.jpg

im54k0.jpg

Hi, a part from the loss of compost through the holes, I just think that long fibered dead sphagnum mixed in equal parts with perlite would be a much better mix, even if just for safety I would avoid right now to put living sphagnum on the top, until the plants are large enough and their growth is under control. Don't worry too much about very small symptoms like colour and size of the pitchers, these species are VERY slow, you can only have a good idea of how things are going (and why) after 1-2 years, it's not a matter of months, unless they are clearly dying. Also because our european seasons are hugely different from what these plants are used to: you're worrying about the color of a pitcher right now, but you might have to fight an invasion of spidermites and yellowing pitchers in august (I know your set-up is prepared to that, but you never know...).