New CP Books delay again

I cant help but agree with the "stick by redfern" sentiment, I have some quite esoteric interests and finding quality books can be a struggle, when an individual devotes that much personal time and effort bringing knowledge to others then respect for their time and costs/profitability is the least they deserve. and to be fair this subject is sorely lacking in quality reference material, the revised savage garden is great but I like real strong coffee,

I will be buying from redfern are there any plans for kindle version (colour)? I only ask as i already have a huge collection of books and another 3 foot of books might just make my wife explode

I have the first two books but haven't signed up for the third yet as I have other demands on my cash flow at the moment (kids).

However I think there are significant challenges in publishing books like this. If you write a simple novel, say '50 shades of whatever' it needs a bit of editing but quality may not be an issue as it will sell millions before anyone notices the quality of the writing ;-)

A book like this one has a superb level of factual detail, hand drawn illustrations and photographs of the highest quality. If the delay is because the authors/publishers are not prepared to release something that they are not happy with then they are protecting your investment. A book that has a limited distribution but high quality may rely in investors who have paid pre-publishing.

If the publishers are not communicating about when and why they are waiting then that would seen unreasonable but if it is being passed on to the community then perhaps it is what it takes to get a book such as this off the presses.

Cheers,

Steve

If the publishers are not communicating about when and why they are waiting then that would seen unreasonable but if it is being passed on to the community then perhaps it is what it takes to get a book such as this off the presses.

Cheers,

Steve

Thats the issue here, we are not being kept informed of why the delays are occuring. When I rang Redferns, all I was told is .."they wont be ready just yet". No explanation as to why, or even when they may be available. Poor communication is the only thing that is currently letting them down. I do agree though that their books are fantastic with a wealth of information, and as such, I will continue to buy them.

• 2 months later...

I rang Redferns again last week...unbelievably the latest date I have for the books being available is yet again not going to be met, as Stewart has been away filming a Sky documentary! And as for the 5 book combo I am waiting for in May, apparently they will now be "sometime later in the year"!

• 2 weeks later...

News from Stew: Yahoo! Lowrie's book are ready!!

Dear Valued Customers,

Firstly, please may I wish you all a very Happy Easter.

I am writing with the exciting news that Carnivorous Plants of Australia Magnum Opus is finally complete. We are airfreighting 300 copies of each volume to the UK from the printers, and we will ship out all pre-orders from the 1st week of May.

If you have placed an order and your postal address has changed in the intervening time, please would you kindly notify the Redfern Sales team of your new details ( [email protected]) .

May I thank all pre-order customers for waiting so patiently for this work. It has been a mammoth project for the Redfern team to undertake, and is without a doubt the most comprehensive and beautiful study of carnivorous plants which we, as a company, have published to date. I am very confident that you will agree that the final product is well worth the wait!

The three volumes of Magnum Opus are (in total) 1355 pages long, and contain over 2,500 images. An overview is below, and I have attached sample pages from each volume to this email for you to see, along with the dust jackets.

These very special books can be ordered here:

http://www.redfernnaturalhistory.com/books/carnivorous-plants-of-australia-magnum-opus-vol-1/

http://www.redfernnaturalhistory.com/books/carnivorous-plants-australia-magnum-opus-vol-2/

http://www.redfernnaturalhistory.com/books/carnivorous-plants-australia-magnum-opus-vol-3/

Currently, about 200 of the 500 unique signed and numbered copies have been sold. These copies which are signed and numbered by Allen Lowrie are shipped on a first come, first served basis, so the sooner you order a signed and numbered set, the lower the signing number that you will receive. So if you want a set with a low signing number, order asap.

Well, may I sincerely thank you for your patronage.

Yours sincerely

Stewart McPherson

Redfern Natural History Productions

www.redfernnaturalhistory.com 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Carnivorous Plants of Australia Magnum Opus Volumes 1., 2. and 3

Australia is home to over one third of all carnivorous plant species currently recognised worldwide. Moreover, the different species found on this continent also represent many of the most diverse carnivorous plant forms known, including some of the largest, most spectacular and unusual representatives of the major carnivorous plant groups. Over the past five decades, renowned botanist Allen Lowrie has travelled across Australia in order to observe, study and photograph all the carnivorous plant species of the continent. This benchmark study represents his accumulated life’s work to date, and offers a definitive and unparalleled examination of all carnivorous plants species currently known from Australia. Carnivorous Plants of Australia Magnum Opus features in-depth, fully illustrated descriptions of all taxa, and introduces for the first time more than 20 new species, 4 new hybrids, and a number of new combinations and new records for Australia. This exhaustive work also includes a wealth of new information and location data, new observations, unique photographs and species distribution maps.

The three volumes of this work are divided as follows:

=================

Volume 1:

Acknowledgements                
Preface    
Types of Carnivorous Plants    
Habitats of Carnivorous Plants in Australia    
Substrate – an important determinant in Drosera growth habits    
The Groups of Australian Drosera  

• Tuberous Drosera     30
  • Pygmy Drosera     44
  • Natural Pygmy Drosera Hybrids     52
  • Man-made Pygmy Drosera Hybrids     56
  • Perennial Tropical Drosera     60
  • Miscellaneous Drosera    78
  • Drosera indica Complex    78

Setocoris – the Sundew Bugs     80
Keys to the Carnivorous Plants of Australia     88

The Species:    

• Introduction to the Species Descriptions    
  • Aldrovanda    
  • Byblis    
  • Cephalotus    
  • Drosera species A to F; aberrans, adelae, allantostigma, andersoniana, androsacea, aquatica, arcturi, aurantiaca, auriculata, australis, × badgerupii, × badgingarra, banksii, barbigera, barrettorum, basifolia, bicolor, binata, bindoon, brevicornis, broomensis, browniana, bulbigena, bulbosa, burmannii, caduca, callistos, calycina, × carbarup, citrina, closterostigma, coalara, collina, coomallo, cucullata, darwinensis, depauperata, derbyensis, dichrosepala, dilatatopetiolaris, drummondii, echinoblastus, eneabba, enodes, eremaea, erythrogyne, erythrorhiza, esperensis, falconeri, fimbriata, finlaysoniana, fragrans, fulva

Volume 2:

The Species (continued from Volume 1):    

• Drosera species F to Z; geniculata, gibsonii, gigantea, glabriscapa, glanduligera, gracilis, graniticola, grievei, hamiltonii, hartmeyerorum, helodes, heterophylla, hirsuta, hookeri, huegelii, humilis, hyperostigma, indumenta, intricata, kenneallyi, lanata, lasiantha, × legrandii, leioblastus, leucoblasta, leucostigma, lowriei, lunata, macrantha, macrophylla, magna, major, mannii, marchantii, menziesii, micra, micrantha, microphylla, microscapa, miniata, minutiflora, modesta, monantha, monticola, moorei, murfetii, myriantha, nana, neesii, nitidula, nivea, occidentalis, omissa, orbiculata, ordensis, oreopodion, paleacea, pallida, paradoxa, patens, pedicellaris, peltata, petiolaris, × pingellyensis, planchonii, platypoda, platystigma, porrecta, praefolia, prolifera, prophylla, prostrata, prostratoscaposa, pulchella, purpurascens, pycnoblasta, pygmaea, radicans, ramellosa, rechingeri, roseana, rosulata, rupicola, salina, sargentii, schizandra, schmutzii, scorpioides, serpens, sewelliae, × sidjamesii, silvicola, spatulata, spilos, squamosa, stelliflora, stolonifera, stricticaulis, subhirtella, subtilis, sulphurea, thysanosepala, trichocaulis, tubaestylis, verrucata, walyunga, whittakeri, yilgarnensis, zigzagia, zonaria

Volume 3:

Species Descriptions:

• Nepenthes
  • Utricularia subgenus Polypompholyx, U. section Polypompholyx
  • Utricularia subgenus Polypompholyx section Pleiochasia, U. subgenus Bivalvaria and U. subgenus Utricularia

Biographies of the Botanists
James Drummond & the Swan River Colony
Appendix:

• New Species    
  • New Natural Hybrids    
  • New Combinations    
  • New Records for Australia    
  • New Statuses    
  • Species Recalled from Synonymy    
  • New Sections    
  • Application of names in Drosera section Arachnopus (Droseraceae)    
  • A Note about Orthographically Corrected Names        
  • Glossary    
  • Botanical Latin Abbreviations    
  • Botanical symbols    
  • Author Abbreviations    
  • Herbarium Abbreviations    
  • Pronunciation of Names    

Bibliography    
Index    

Signed copies bear the signature of Allen Lowrie. Volume 1 of each set bears a unique set number (from 1 to 500). Signed and numbered sets are shipped in numerical order (the sooner that the order is placed, the lower the number that you will receive).

Hello,

if someone can show me the pics of the new species it would be very nice, i like the work of Stewart but absolutly not the work of lowrie, who s clearly a stealer! me and a friend would like to verify these pics to see if he cheated us or not,so any help is welcome.pm me please.

thanks and cheers

I am writing with the exciting news that Carnivorous Plants of Australia Magnum Opus is finally complete. We are airfreighting 300 copies of each volume to the UK from the printers, and we will ship out all pre-orders from the 1st week of May.

I will believe it when it actually happens...........

• 2 weeks later...

I have just spoken to Redferns distributors, NHBS.com, and they have told me the books are not due out now until............AUGUST!!!!! Seriously??

• Like 1

News from Stew: Yahoo! Lowrie's book are ready!!

Dear Valued Customers,

Firstly, please may I wish you all a very Happy Easter.

So, is someone going to let us all know why they are still not ready?

Honestly I don't know Redfern, but I know a Lil bit how act lowrie and it's for that I was very critic against these books since the beginning... And I was right sadly, I'm sorry for all people who pre order them books. Maybe you could try to get money back and boycott this book... That would be an answer they should take more seriously...

Honestly I don't know Redfern, but I know a Lil bit how act lowrie and it's for that I was very critic against these books since the beginning... And I was right sadly, I'm sorry for all people who pre order them books. Maybe you could try to get money back and boycott this book... That would be an answer they should take more seriously...

will T,

How come was Lowrie critical of the books?

I would boycott, and ask for my money back.

But if they are anything like the originals, the info in them is fantastic. So I actually want them.

I have just had a look at the NHBS website, and yup, it says due August 2014 :ireful:

Edited by Ares

I agree about the fact the book will be great. That's sure. But I can tell you that lowrie is not honest for sure (my source and some others sure sources). He took locations of plants to some people promising things i' exchange and... Nothing... Cheater, simply. If next year I ve a job with a museum I ll have all the time to do something nice, in collaboration with some Germans and italians, and I hope i could build a strong project to do concurrency...

Cheers and I hope you ll get your books ASAP ;) cause I wasnt mad against ppl who bought it, just sad for you because of the delay. More than one year of late it's a new record

Guest paul y

a year late for a book is nothing, try being a Robert Jordan fan, 17 years to finish a story, well worth the wait and taught me more about being patient than anything else ever did, even chasing down an 18lb Bristol avon barbel (72 miles of river with only 3 fish that size or bigger, just finding that fish took 2 years)

I don't own any redfern books yet so I have nothing against them whatsoever and I appreciate what it takes to get a book to print.

I see it like this, without redfern just what source would we all turn too? just be grateful they did publish these books or all we would have is amatos work or hard to find a slack books.

regards paul

Just spoken with NHBS again and they had a meeting with Stewart yesterday. Apparently the books are still in india being printed and bound. Due in the uk end of May for distribution early June. Hmmm. And the other books which were due out May 2014 (Drosera and Pinguicula) are now not going to be available until early....wait for it....2015! :ireful1:

Just spoken with NHBS again and they had a meeting with Stewart yesterday. Apparently the books are still in india being printed and bound. Due in the uk end of May for distribution early June. Hmmm. And the other books which were due out May 2014 (Drosera and Pinguicula) are now not going to be available until early....wait for it....2015! :ireful1:

Keep dreaming .

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Magnus opus has finished printing and the first books were shown at a meeting of one of the Australian societies...the rest is on it's way to the UK for re-distribution so it shouldn't be long before those who have been waiting for their pre-orders will se  a heavily breathing and sweating courier coming down the road :jive:

Edited by Marcel van den Broek