P. Grandiflora gemmae.

Ian_P

Hi all,

I bought some P. Grandiflora gemmae about 2 months ago and most of them have taken root.

This is the first time I've grown any butterworts and I'm a bit concerned about what I should do with them now, as they have started growing at this time of year and the weather is getting colder.

At the moment I've got them on a windowsill, but if I put them outside while they are this small would they hibernate or just die, as I understand they usually form a hibernacula at this time of year, so would it be better to just over winter them indoors this year?

Here's a pic,

IMAG0275.jpg

Any advice from the butterwort community would be appreciated.

Regards,

Ian.

They should have gone straight outside in a sheltered spot when you got them,or a cold greenhouse.

They really are as tough as old boots even when small.

Now you have got them growing again,they have wasted valuable energy that would have seen them through winter,there won't be any flies to catch now.

They might survive the winter on the window cill if you keep them just damp but i don't fancy their chances outside now they have started to grow again,one or two might make it but i think the frost would kill the new growth and then mould set in before an even smaller hibernacula can form.

ada

Thanks Ada, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I sowed them straight away but obviously it was still warm enough to trigger them to grow.

I could have taken them down my Dads and left them in the garden with my Sarras and VFT's.

I'll just keep them damp for now, like you suggest, and just hope they get through this winter.

Thanks for the reply.

Ian.

Thanks Fred,

I did have them under my 300w red spectrum cfl with my Cephalotus, but I think it was a bit too warm under there, I read that pings prefer cooler temps.

Hopefully next year I'll have my balcony back and I'll be able to put all of my plants outside.

Cheers.

Ian.

• 1 month later...

You could consider supplying some extra illumination with red/blue leds. That should help get them through the winter.

Thanks for the PM about the LED Fred.

I ordered one and it arrived from China on Friday and I installed it over my gemmae at the weekend.

http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/uploads/gallery_6857_766_19797.jpg

I did lose a few but most are still alive, hope this does the trick until the spring.

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Fred,

I have actually stood the pot on a box to get it closer to the lamp, it looks bright if you look at the LED's but didn't seem to illuminate the pot very well when I put the tray under it. Maybe it's just because of the colour. I'll see how they go and lower them back down if they seem to be growing too vigorously.

It also runs a lot cooler than my 300W CFL, so I'm happy about that and hopefully the Pings will be too.

Cheers,

Ian.