Leggy Little Things

Little-Bacchus

I have a few lost D. capensis seeds sending up shoots but they are from deep down in the sphagnum moss, problem is they are very leggy with thin white stems of about 1cm+. Will they, if re-potted deeper and the stems in the dark root from the stems or are they just likely to rot. I have six healthy little seedlings but would like to save these ones as well if I can.

I know they are only D. capensis but I'm hooked.

If i'm reading this correctly, i believe your white leggy stems are actually leaves devoid of any green colour from being planted too "deep down" as you put it. The crown of a Capensis should be at substrate level, so i would suggest repotting them and bringing the crowns closer to the surface if anything, certainly not deeper !

A photo would give folk a better idea of the problem.

Edited by Welshy

A photo would give folk a better idea of the problem.

Sorry that it is a little blurry but the best I could get. I don't think it is leaf growth just a very long stem compared to my others. The top had stopped just at the level with the moss but flopped over with a lot of air space between the stem and the moss.

smxg8k.jpg

It's best to sow seeds on peat. Sphagnum tends to swamp seedlings and causes them to etoliate.

I'm just hoping the others keep up the pace and I should have some more seeds to experiment with. My other peat ones never came to much. I was hoping that the etiolated region may root as I know it can be done with some other plants but no idea if it will work with Drosera.

• 2 weeks later...

In an adult plant 'deeper planted' stems would root no problem but such a tiny plant might just rot.

Thanks and I'll keep it in mind for bigger plants... Fingers crossed they will make it but if not I'll put it down as something to watch for next time.

• 4 months later...

Just a little update on this for anyone that wants to know. I did re-pot deeper and they did indeed root from the leggy stems. Still small plants but strong and healthy with red stems down to the surface of the moss now. I will avoid this by giving more light next time but happy I didn't lose this batch.

• Like 1