Borneo

Since we introduced the easy-to-keep Bio-Dome growing concept, there has been interest as to when they might be available in the UK (& elsewhere). The Eden Project down in deepest and rather remote Cornwall are now stocking them but the best news is that they supply by mail order here

Or find it in their section called: "A fabulous range of Christmas gifts all £10 & under" on the flowers and gifts section of the Eden Project Shop website.

Each Bio-Dome unit contains two plants of a selected all-red cultivar of Nepenthes ampullaria x ventricosa. called Nepenthes 'Lady Luck'. This by the way is the same cultivar as Nepenthes 'Bloody Mary' which is sold by a Dutch nursery as large plants. (same clone, different name). We've tested and successfully grown this cultivar down to 10 deg C and up to 40 deg C but it's not yet known what it's actual limits of survival tolerance are. If anyone finds out that it will survive temperatures outside this range, please do let me know!.

packaged_unit-650.jpg

And here's a pair of plants of Nepenthes 'Lady Luck' (or Nepenthes 'Bloody Mary') at about 1 year old.

Lady_Luck_one_yr_old-650.jpg

Edited by Borneo
  • Like 1

Actually, it's designed so the Neps grow out of the hole in the top and slowly acclimatises to whatever they finds outside. Works great actually. Doesn't need repotting for at least a year by which time the dome itself has practically disappeared inside the plant.

Edited by Borneo
  • Like 1

Actually, it's designed so the Neps grow out of the hole in the top and slowly acclimatises to whatever they finds outside. Works great actually. Doesn't need repotting for at least a year by which time the dome itself has practically disappeared inside the plant.

this is a fantastic concept, I love they design of the actual unit and how cleverly it's put together. I've been dying to see if they'd turn up here and lo and behold they have :D looks like I might have to get myself an early christmas present!

by the way, do you have any plant to introduce some different species or hybrids in bio dome units to expand the range if it proves a popular design?

Thanks 19silverman93, we've tested them pretty thoroughly in the UK and they are really easy to keep. David Attenborough had about 6 prototypes on his windowsill for a long time and has now transferred them to John Lewis candle jars (ideal actually). His collection include N. attenboroughii of course. But the answer to your question is "yes". There will be a new cultivar out in May in Bio-Domes which will be a selected clone of N. rafflesiana x sibuyanensis (photo below) and a then there will be more to follow, practically on a monthly basis. The one after that will probably be Nepenthes 'Bill Bailey' = Nepenthes singalana x ventricosa.

Nepenthes%20_burgundy_lady.jpg

Edited by Borneo
  • Like 1

Thanks 19silverman93, we've tested them pretty thoroughly in the UK and they are really easy to keep. David Attenborough had about 6 prototypes on his windowsill for a long time and has now transferred them to John Lewis candle jars (ideal actually). His collection include N. attenboroughii of course. But the answer to your question is "yes". There will be a new cultivar out in May in Bio-Domes which will be a selected clone of N. rafflesiana x sibuyanensis (photo below) and a then there will be more to follow, practically on a monthly basis. The one after that will probably be Nepenthes 'Bill Bailey' = Nepenthes singalana x ventricosa.

Nepenthes%20_burgundy_lady.jpg

an attenboroughii bio dome would be a sight to behold :D but that raff x sibu clone in the pic is gorgeous. it's wonderful how the dark pitcher body contrast with the green of the peristome and inner walls of the pitcher. I have been considering getting a N. x "bill bailey" so that is good news indeed.

Great idea and for someone like me that is just getting the hang of growing... I know the plant I'm getting is true to type and will grow well.

I would ask though is there a way to hang the Bio-Dome so the later pitchers will hang over the sides or will it have to sit on a flat surface? I guessing by the time it would need re-potting.

Also is the Bio-Dome reusable and would you at some point provide a way of getting plug plants that you can put in and grow or will it be new plant - new Bio-Dome?

The bio-dome is short enough, the plants maintain a normal shape for about a year or so. The larger, taller, leaves have longer tendrils so the pitchers can rest on whatever surface the dome is sitting on. Once it starts vining, you'll need to repot.

I think you'll find it a bit more difficult to "hang" one of these. But you could probably use a net to hold it.

Edited by Dave Evans

• 3 years later...