What can stay in the greenhouse over winter?

linuxman

In past years I've brought all the following plants inside to over-winter on window sills. What are peoples feelings/experience with leaving them in the greenhouse over-winter?

The plants I'm considering are:

D. regia

D. binata

D. capensis

D. aliciae

D. slackii

D. madagascariensis

D. adelae

I'm obviously trying to keep as many alive as possible :pleasantry:

Thanks,

I leave D. capensis, regia, binata, and aliciae out in the greenhouse, all are OK. With the exception of D. binata I found that these all keep their leaves although not actively growing of course. You didn't mention whether you have any heating on or not. I do (for other plants), so minimum temps would be between 5 and 10C.

D.Binata, regia and capensis experience some pretty cold temps in the wild, I have had freinds send me pics of binata growing with snow around them in the mountains down south, they are in full sun so I guess this counters that, but normally they die down to their roots in drought or cold then return in summer/spring.

As for adelae, the coldest dads place gets is 4-5c for a few nights of winter, then the rest of winter is 8-10c averages, he has several adelae populations on his property and they never go dormant in these conditions, however if you let them dry out abit they will die back to the roots and return when you water them, perhaps this is an option.

D.Binata, regia and capensis experience some pretty cold temps in the wild, I have had freinds send me pics of binata growing with snow around them in the mountains down south, they are in full sun so I guess this counters that, but normally they die down to their roots in drought or cold then return in summer/spring.

As for adelae, the coldest dads place gets is 4-5c for a few nights of winter, then the rest of winter is 8-10c averages, he has several adelae populations on his property and they never go dormant in these conditions, however if you let them dry out abit they will die back to the roots and return when you water them, perhaps this is an option.

It depends what kind of binata you have. The T (or y) form is quite hardy, the more tropical forms won't survive well with frosts. D. madagascariensis does not do well with cold temps, although it might survive. I certainly have had them die when kept below 10C for long. 50/50.

Edited by manders

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

No I don't have heating in the GH so temps. will go down to nearly night-time levels.

My D. regia has already died back somewhat although it still has small green leaves at the centre.

I think I'll bring in: D. binata (to be on the safe side), D. slackii, D. madagascariensis and D. adelae and leave the others to nature.

Cheers,

If its of any help at all, I have T form binata and capensis, outside, in bogs all year round (for many years now) and they come back every year from the roots. They obviously loose all their leaves over the winter and do take a while to get going in spring, but they survive. Not sure on what effect the reduced thermal mass of a plant pot would have, as opposed to a bog, especially in a greenhouse situation as the temperature swings would be more dramatic, probably leading to more and rapid freeze/thaw cycles which isnt good.

Cheers

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I have all of these at home. With the exception of D. madagascariensis and D. adelae everything survives the winter in my basement on a windowsill. There it is 3 - 5 C in the winter. They all keep their leafes, but stop growing.The binatas react different to this. Most form a hibernacula, D. "extrema" however dies down to the roots and starts growing from the soil in the spring.

As long as the temperature isn't bellow 0, your plants should be fine.

D. madagascariensis and D. adelae hate cold and I grow them in my terrarium.

Edited by hgwqhge