Could this be Julie Jones

Veek

I am merely an amateur grower so excuse my mistakes in my growlist. Same like ada says:

I understand all the fuss about being correct(no quotes)if you were writing a scientific paper about a plant,but the majority of people on here know what we are talking about and they just want to grow a particular plant or cultivar and enjoy it!

But it's good to know the difference between single and double quotes. Maybe in a year or 10 my growlist will be perfectly written.:smile:

Here are the extra pics I promised I tried making a slideshow out of it. I hope it worked:

http://s391.photobuc...how/Julie Jones

I can only post a link to it I still have to figure out how to do it. Stephen could you help me? How do you post a slideshow on the forum?

Edited by Veek

Koen, very nice plant mate and don't worry for Stephen and the slideshow.

If I were u I would worry more for the plant. It has powdery mildew I'm afraid, so I would think about that asap.

Look carefully here mate I marked the places with circle and arrows. Around the pertisome, the leaves and of the young pitcher.

dsc_8328a_zps8fdb60f5_0000c_31011059.jpg

You're right Dimi. I went to the greenhouse yesterday and took a look and indeed there is some powdery mildew.

I cannot be from the ventilation since there is a fan blowing on this plant. I am guessing it has to do with lower light levels since the weather lately hasn't been the best. I sprayed the plant but what can I do else? Add extra lighting in the G/H?

You're right Dimi. I went to the greenhouse yesterday and took a look and indeed there is some powdery mildew.

I cannot be from the ventilation since there is a fan blowing on this plant. I am guessing it has to do with lower light levels since the weather lately hasn't been the best. I sprayed the plant but what can I do else? Add extra lighting in the G/H?

Koen,

First I recommend you take a dry paintbrush and clean well the powdery mildew around the peristome, above the lid of the pitcher/s, the teeth around the peristome, the flat leaves, the small pitcher, all parts of the plant. Just use dry paintbrush when u do that untill u get visible efect.

Once you have already "cleaned" the plant, then use Bio Systhane or just Systhane fungicide with active Ingredient - myclobutanil. I recommend 0.1ml per 1L water, 3 times every 10 days. Then use sulfur 85% solution per 1L water and spray it just once.

More light and fresh air as much as possible are needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I can help a little bit here.

A few years ago while on hoIiday I went to her nursery in Perranporth which is a little village down in Cornwall... by the way she's remarried so isn't 'Jones' anymore... we need to amend our labels !

I have seen that actual plant in the flesh - it really is grown in the bucket shown in the picture and is awesome.

As you can imagine we talked about it quite a bit. It originally belonged to a friend of hers - he grew it in the bucket. It had no special growing conditions but he felt it grew larger from being in a large pot. It was just an ordinary ceph that grew slowly but over time had larger traps than the other clones.

She bought his CP collection when he gave up growing plants. She didn't name it anything, one of the people she gave a cutting to was Stephen and he named it 'JJ' to differentiate it from his other cephs I believe.

A guy called Graham Sadd had a few leaf cuttings from it and also some growers in Europe. I suppose at that time it didn't have the interest it has now.

There were plenty of babies growing in the pot attached to the mother plant so she dug one out and I bought it. It certainly isn't rare so I don't know why people are paying so much for it.. perhaps it's like the vft - everyone wants to have the biggest traps !!

Hope this helps a litte. D.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the extra explanation Damien. What is the new last name that we should add to our labels? :smile:

From the 4 big plants I had of JJ I sacrificed one to make some cuttings. Below you can see the pictures. All were taken at the same time. The leaf cutting still don't show any growth at all ... the root cuttings and divisions however do. I prefer the root cuttings though they look very fresh and green.

In the order of the photos: leaf cuttings/root cuttings/ divisions

SAM_2866_zps4c66288b.jpg

SAM_2865_zps4e4d7306.jpg

SAM_2864_zpsd36dbcdd.jpg

Enjoy.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I got a message from Damien. Appearently Julie remarried and is now called Julie Trewin. Maybe gonna have to relabel it instead of JJ ... JT :smile:

(Joking off course Julie jones should be Julie Jones and not change the name.)

Edited by Veek

Possibly my mild OCD, but I label "Big Boy" with double quotes and 'Hummer's Giant' with singe quotes :wink:

Err, no! Doing things correctly isn't OCD.

Putting single quotes on everything just because 'it looks neater that way', however, sure does sound OCD. Obviously, people are trying to give you information based on the way the names are written...

Edited by Dave Evans

According to the International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants, double quotation marks are for the "name" until the point of establishment is realised and single quotation mark are for cultivars.

Wouldn't it be nice if people would learn the rules, eh? There's just a couple really.

• Like 1

Well, if it is already in the "publishing pipe-line" I don't see any reason not to use single quotes as tags made before it gets published are still going to be around for years and years--If you're not intending to actually name a cutlivar but just use the name as a nickname it is better to use the double quotes around the name.

Or if we're talking about Nepenthes, then you might want to use the grex system, check to see if the grex is already named and if not, name it yourself.  It is a lot less involved than making a cultivar and it keeps better breeding records than the cultivar system.  If its already named, you just write it thus : Nepenthes Purple People Eater  by Mobile; and you don't use any quotes unless you're truly neurotic with it :laugh1: