Could this be Julie Jones

Veek

Stephen, please answer to following questions:

1. How big are the pitchers - 3 cm. 5 cm, 7 cm. 10c, etc... since u refer it as a large clone? Just aprox if u don't know for sure.

2. How we will treat and label this Cephalotus from Mrs Julie Jones from now on? Because it is clearly labeld as " Giant Cephalotus follicularis plant of unknown origins".

And to the questions to the forum moderator Carl.

- Does it have any significant distinguishing characteristics that differentiate it from a typical Cephalotus?

- Is it called Julie Jones just because that was whom supplied it

Thanks!

Dimitar.

Well size is relative and depends on your conditions, so you need to compare to other clones growing in the same conditions.

goe_C006 largest pitchers are about 4.5cm, which is about the same size as my Hummers Giant and Big Boy, but smaller than 'Dudley Watts', whereas my more typical sized plant goe_C001 is about 3cm.

On your 2nd point, I don't understand what you mean. It's not "clearly" labelled as anything. I would recommend using goe_C006 so any offsets can be traced back, perhaps add "large growing clone from Julie Jones" for further clarification. If you're not growing it then you don't need to worry...

Thanks Stephen for providing the extra pics. I really appreciate it.

And really from what I see they are one and the same plant. I'll let my stephfather take some better quality pics then I did for everyone to see. He has got better equipment then me.

Does it have any significant distinguishing characteristics that differentiate it from a typical Cephalotus? Is it called Julie Jones just because that was whom supplied it?

In my opinion it is called Julie Jones in regards to source where it comes from. It might make bigger pitchers than a typical but on the contrary I got myself a (former) typical which makes pitchers up untill 6cm.

I wondered and want to know how we will treat and label this Cephalotus from Mrs Julie Jones from now on?

I'll just add the description Julie Jones to my Ceph just so the people know the origin of this Cephalotus. In my eyes it is the same one as the one from Stephen. Stephen also provide the goe_C006 label so everyone knows which one comes from Stephen, if they aren't sure both the Cephs are the same thing.

And you don't have to be scared I am just looking to cash in on the name and fame of Cephalotus Julie Jones cause I am not. If I have spares of this and they would be sold then the price would be around 25€.

Edited by Veek

Veek, i think you are being fair,it is well documented on here.Both you and Stephen got your cephalotus from the same person.Stephen got his a bit before you(12 years)so they could be different just because of the time scale involved.

But as long as Stephen uses his code and you don't use his code(just supplied by JJ)everyone can be clear which is which and no one can accuse you of selling/swapping the wrong clone.ie goe_C006

The only problem i can see is,later when someone else passes/sells on a division of your plant if they don't make the distinction clear to the next grower.

can you follow that?

ada

I would recommend using goe_C006 so any offsets can be traced back,

Stephen, sorry but u just provoke me to do that.

one is to call and label goe_C006 Cephalotus large growing clone from Julie Jones.

And very very different is to call and label Cephalotus " Julie Jones" clone. :wink:

untitled_76b30_30994428.png

I don't think that I have to explain to you these things that u know...

I'll stop to comment this thread...

The only problem i can see is,later when someone else passes/sells on a division of your plant if they don't make the distinction clear to the next grower.

can you follow that?

Everytime I pass it on to another grower I'll clearly inform them on the matter, providing this topic link. Then the person should know what to do whenever he passes it on. Since this topic already has 969 views I think many people are already aware of this. I'll be sending one out to dimitar and he knows how to treat it and it's offspring.

• Like 1

Ha ha ha, Stephen...

Ok well, I don't have nothing against you, don't get me wrong, please. You are good grower with good experience.

Honestly the first good advices and first steps how to grow Cephalotus I got from the forum moderator Mobile ( Carl) years ago and I still appreciate them.

Same is with you and everyone else here. I like this forum and the people here are very nice, we teach from each other and we share our experince. So, good luck with you plants, Stephen and be the same!

I'm hoping its just a language problem.

Yes, seem so.

I can't understand the name JJ in all that story, get it? This plant is not cultivar that's why we don't use single-quotes indicates like (') -

' Julie Jones' but we use double-quotes indicates (") - "Julie Jones" as clone i.e plant obtained from Mrs Julie Jones, not as cultivar, right?

This I can't understand?

Edited by dimitar

I understood where is the problem and why I'm confused.

Your Latin grammar is not the same as our Slavic - Cyrillic grammar regarding the names and your meaning is not the same as our meaning in such cases.

British practice, again, is quite different. In fact, single-quote marks and double-quote marks are apt to be reversed in usage.

We both try to say the same things in different ways. Tsk tsk tsk what thing is the language.Cultural misunderstanding.

I apologize if you feel offended, Stephen. I did not do it on purpose!

Edited by dimitar

You're quite right, it's not a cultivar. It's just a nickname that's arisen from my growlist for this particular clone. There are lots of plants with unofficial names like this. However, all it would take is for it to be mentioned in a book or journal and then it would be a cultivar!

Just because its not a cultivar does not mean its not of interest, or collectible. The origins of the plant before it got to Julie are unknown, but this does not detract from the interest.

For clarity I should have added my clone number to that eBay auction, but I was in a hurry at the time. However if you ask people what the "Julie Jones" clone is they will know (note the quotes!).

Julie claimed that the original plant she had died, so I was quite surprised that Veek has a similar looking plant, but then we can't trust anything that Julie says these days...so it's quite possible that others have the same clone.

name='gardenofeden' timestamp='1382169503' post='345299']I grow all my plants without using "peat" and have done so for nearly 20 years.

[/b]

Errrrrrr do the double inverted commas mean it's a nickname or a cultivar, I'm getting confused

The International Code of Nomenclature For Cultivated Plants defines the use of singe and double quotes and the naming of plants.

Pffff, even more I get confused reading this

Example:

Many plants have "selling names" or "marketing names" as well as a cultivar name

"selling names" or "marketing names"

How to get that?

Edited by dimitar

I just use single quotes for everything for the uniformity of it and cause it looks good. Off course I am unknowing about all the special rules regarding to writing the names. It took me about 4 years before I knew I had to write Drosera intermedia instead of Drosera Intermedia.

I just use single quotes for everything for the uniformity of it and cause it looks good. Off course I am unknowing about all the special rules regarding to writing the names. It took me about 4 years before I knew I had to write Drosera intermedia instead of Drosera Intermedia.

Single quotes means it is a cultivar, so unless published this use is incorrect.

It is getting out of hand,there is a right way and a wrong way to write things.

I understand all the fuss about being correct(no quotes)if you were writing a scientific paper about a plant,but the majority of people on here know what we are talking about and they just want to grow a particular plant or cultivar and enjoy it!

They dont want to get bogged down with technicalities,or things getting lost in translation due to different languages.

It all comes down to growers doing a bit of homework on any plants they wish to buy/swap,BEFORE they buy/swap them with reputable sources.

The problem,is the internet.It brings people together but you never/rarely meet them.

You have to build a relationship and trust who you deal with,sometimes this works if you stick at it,sometimes you get ripped off.

I have good friends on here,i have never met,lets just enjoy growing these plants and not get involved in technicalities.

ada

• Like 4