Cephalotus and LED lights

pmatil

Feel free to post about cephalotus and LED lights in this topic. I've introduced my LED light fixture in the appropriate topic and now it's time for the plants! The LED light has been over the cephalotus about 3 weeks now and you can already starting to see some coloration. The pitchers and leaves were all completely green before.

C_follicularis8.jpg

Edited by pmatil

• 2 months later...

it still dont look like enough light to me ? still not sure on LED tec yet ?

John, LED lighting does work. I have grown a number of plants under it and can get good colouration... when given enough wattage. But many growers do not use enough wattage, mistakenly thinking it is much more efficient than it really is.

I think the reason to swap to LED lighting is to lower the wattage of the lamps you're using. What wattage are you using Carl? I use 2x36W TL-lamps inside the house (only during the winter and now I am even testing with 1x36W TL 6500K) So if I could lower the wattage that I am using I would consider swapping TL for LED.

That having been said Cephalotus under the lamps is for me only during the winter times because I still prefer the real sunlight.

A lot of the LED efficiency gain comes from using only the wavelengths that plants can make efficient use of, but most people won't want to view their plants under such lighting. Another efficiency gain is that they can be directionally focused a lot better than fluorescent lamps.

A lot of the LED efficiency gain comes from using only the wavelengths that plants can make efficient use of, but most people won't want to view their plants under such lighting.

They are cheap enough to have a second ( or third) circuit fitted to add white light when viewing under "normal" lighting is required

But even those white LED did not really convince me. I had a closer look at a professional LED set that a cameraman showed me recently. Very expensive lamp, and said to be "nop of the notch" in actual LED colour rendering. Hm- still think that even the old halogen bulbs are far beyond the best modern LEDs in terms of light quality. Does anyone knows the CRI values of the better LEDs?

And concerning efficacy - they havent even reached the 100lm/W level, as far as I know.

I'd be really happy if there once will be good working LED lighting systems, as I like to make miniature plant setups. But not in the nearer future, as it looks to me today.

• Like 1

White light usage in plant growing is for the human eye. Why generate green light when it's not used by the plants? Use the frequencies the plants use and then only use white ( Cool white is nearest daylight) when there's a human wanting to look.

For a single pot there are led "bulbs" available at very little cost. I have 1.8W to 15W which I can use in my arrays or singly. The 15W is 5 x 3W (4 red/1 blue) costing around £2.50 (3€).

@Fred, you did well finding a 5 x 3W LED bulb for £2.50, as the cheapest I can find is ~£10 and that's getting them from China. 3 x 3W can be found for ~£4.

Red/Blue LED are OK if you wish to just use them for plant growth, but they do not make a nice display. Some people, including myself like to make a bit of a display of our plants, I believe that Martin does with some of his too, so having them under red/blue LED is not suitable.

According to the growers of a type of plant grown in secret Blue light is for vegetative growth and Red light is used to trigger flowering. The Wistuba LED strips are in the ratio of 6 Red : 3 Blue : 3 White.

I am interested in having a go at using LEDs but I would want to make my own. I know it is more expensive to make your own but I would be doing it for fun.

I would use a minimum amount of Red.

I would be using 10 Watt LEDs run at half power.

The main reason for me to grow plants is to watch their beauty. So the human eye is a factor here for me.

Besides that - who can really claim to know what part of the spectrum is needed by plants? To take the absorbance maxima of chlorophyll sounds pretty naive to me.

According to the growers of a type of plant grown in secret Blue light is for vegetative growth and Red light is used to trigger flowering. The Wistuba LED strips are in the ratio of 6 Red : 3 Blue : 3 White.

I am interested in having a go at using LEDs but I would want to make my own. I know it is more expensive to make your own but I would be doing it for fun.

I would use a minimum amount of Red.

I would be using 10 Watt LEDs run at half power.

I don't know where this blue for growth and red for flowering came from, but if you look at the chlorophyll absorption bands you will see they are in both blue and red. Some reading I have done suggests that it is far red that is required to trigger some plants to flower and the type of LED they typically use in most grow lamps does not cover this band. Indeed, some manufacturers such as Phillips actually make flowering bulbs and they use far red. When NASA did the early research they used more red than blue and they were doing research on crop growth, not trying to grow flowers for the astronauts to admire :wink:

@Fred, you did well finding a 5 x 3W LED bulb for £2.50, as the cheapest I can find is ~£10 and that's getting them from China. 3 x 3W can be found for ~£4.

The 3 x 3W ones I have were about £2. :tu:

Red/Blue LED are OK if you wish to just use them for plant growth, but they do not make a nice display. Some people, including myself like to make a bit of a display of our plants, I believe that Martin does with some of his too, so having them under red/blue LED is not suitable.

That is why you have a second circuit with cool white.

I set up one of my arrays with just blue leds, later adding cool white on the second circuit.

The plants look good with both circuits on. It doesn't take a lot of white light to make the plants look 'normal'.