S. flava advice

Nick1234

I have three S. flava forms and they have all been growing really well all summer, but just in the past week or two they have all stopped throwing up new pitchers. None of my other Sarracenia species have stopped pitchering, just that one group. Is this something I should be worried about or does it happen sometimes? Does flava in particular slow down as the summer progresses? I like it when my sarras are pitchering continuously during the growing season as it is more interesting! By the way, they have excellent light and there are no pests at the moment.

flava does a shot in spring and then more or less stops. Some others, like leucophylla, do a flush in spring and another in autumn. Pupurea seems more or less ever-growing for me. Hybrids of sarracenia may have any mixture of these patterns...

In short, don't worry.

Guest X-Bumble

Could I ask another Flava question please...

At what point does it mulch the insects and suck them down. The reason I ask is that some books say the acid/juice rises to the level of insects in the trumpet, whilst others say it only produces the liquid once the trumpet starts to turn brown.

My Flava has pretty much filled up all its trumpets with flies, wasps, beetles and other unsavoury black things already and yet I see no sign of the acid/juice at the top level so far... in fact the trumpets are now toppling over and where they have folded at the bottom as a result are going brown.

Guest Aidan

The plant is hard at work on it's prey right now! :( With a completely full pitcher you are unlikely to see anything except the top layer of corpses. Everything is going on under the surface. Digestion and absorbtion occur in the lower parts of the pitcher and over time the bodies compact and sink further. It is worth slitting a full pitcher open down its length at the end of the season to see this. All that remains is a compacted mass of hundreds, even thousands of chitinous exoskeletons and wings.