Some new Dionaea clones

Mathias Maier

Hi guy´s,

after long time studying how to post a picture (thats to complicated for me...), i´m very happy to present you some new Dionaea clones from my breeding program, these are one of the best results from the last years. I have some of them for 3 years now under observation. And all of them are stable!
I think i will have them available next year. Will add some more pics of other new plants the next days...
The pics are not in best quality, because i made them with my old cell phone... so sorry for that!

So i´m really interested what you thinking about them.

So please enjoy:

GJ Montecore

(Unnamed 1)

l5g3-4-a87f.jpg

l5g3-5-e4da.jpg

l5g3-6-1679.jpg

l5g3-7-8f14.jpg

GJ Maratchi

(Unnamed 2)

l5g3-8-c9f0.jpg

l5g3-9-45c4.jpg

GJ Green Zebra:

l5g3-a-d3d9.jpg

l5g3-b-6512.jpg

GJ Equobia
(Unnamed 3)

l5g3-c-c20a.jpg

l5g3-d-c51c.jpg

GJ Basmati:

l5g3-2-c81e.jpg

l5g3-3-eccb.jpg

So best regards

Matze

Edited by Mathias Maier
  • Like 2

Hi Mathias, nice plants!! They are all quite "unique" a part from the first one, I think it is too similar to Jaws Smiley or Alien, can you see big differences between your clone and them?

I like the name for the second one though :)

Green Zebra is very nice, I like the curly leaves.

Snake Head looks weird on some traps, isn't it? Is that the full coloration?

I really like Basmati, a mix of werewolf and sawtooth maybe?

Well done Mathias, I was waiting for this thread since the EEE in Bonn ;)

Thanks for your comments!

Yes, on the first view, Evil Spiral? looks very similar to Jaws Smiley or Alien, but its different to them. But it took some time to figure it out, so thats why you wait so long time for it, Yuri. It grows like a Spiral and become very long traps, up to 5cm (also like Jaws Smiley) But at full grown plants, the teeth are curled inwards. Also some of the teeth are grown together. But it´s not from seeds of Jaws Smiley or Alien.

So i sow thousands of seeds a year, and it´s very interesting to see, that often times the same mutations spread out.

Edited by Mathias Maier
  • Like 2

Well done Mathias. I grow about a thousand Dionaea from seed every year and never seem to get any of these mutations.

Guillaume, I suspect a lot of the mutations out there have been caused in the tissue culture process and then get multiplied and distributed, picked up by different growers and named. For instance look through Araflora's Dionaea offerings, Snowman looks identical to Green Zebra. Custer Traps looks just like, Alien & Jaws Smiley. Cracker looks the same as Coquillage and Green Wizard. Chacho and Freaky Star look like Bio Hazard etc etc..

Trev, I have speak with the boss of Carniflora and he told me that vft they grow comes from seeds and the seeds come from a mysterious nursery in Belgium. I don't know more but I think that's why it's nearly always the same looking plants that are always selected since 5 years. :wink:

• Like 1

Hi guys,

thanks for your comments!

Guillaume, yes, thats true, the first two looks very similar to Alien and Jaws Smiley, you can think they are both hybrids of them ;-). But both are shown different characteristics.

Unnamed 1: has the curved leafs and long traps of Jaws Smiley, but the teeth are different, more like from Alien

Unnamed 2: looks more like Alien, but with the inwards folded teeth and jaws, from Jaws Smiley

Unnamed 3: yes, it´s a bit similar to Kayan, but often times, the traps are deformated and also the teeth.

Green Zebra: thats a bit variable, i have it for 3 years now, And it shows the white stripes sometimes more and sometimes less... but it´s stable for 3 years now! Thats the reaseon why i wait so long with it, because i wanted to get sure, that it is stable.

Yes Trev, thats a long way and a lot of crossings every year... i also grow thousands of plants from seeds a year. But i just selected the best for recrossings. I have my own breeding programm... and at the moment, i´m working very hard on red variants of the most spectacular clones, like Trichterfalle, Triton, Schuppenstiel....

Maybe next year, i will have a red Triton, that would be fantastic!

Edited by Mathias Maier

.. i´m working very hard on red variants of the most spectacular clones, like Trichterfalle, Triton, Schuppenstiel....

Maybe next year, i will have a red Triton, that would be fantastic!

We'll see who will get the best result for first!! ;) ahahhaha

The variagated variety look promising

Green Zebra: thats a bit variable, i have it for 3 years now, And it shows the white stripes sometimes more and sometimes less... but it´s stable for 3 years now! Thats the reaseon why i wait so long with it, because i wanted to get sure, that it is stable.

Is the variagation present all year?

What percentage of the leaves are variagated at any one time?

Does the variagation appear every year?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...