The original site where S. leucophylla hurricane creek white used to exist in the wild was plowed and turned into a pine tree plantation. While I never saw the original site before it was destroyed, I had heard it was a huge field filled with plants! The original site had many normal S. leucophyllas, but a few plants displayed the blinding white traps that we are fortunate enough to have preserved in cultivation prior to the site being destroyed.

A lot of people probably are wondering, what does this site look like today, and is there anything left? Surprisingly, there is still a tiny little patch remaining to this day, but it is slowly being overgrown by the surrounding shrubs. Are there any super-white plants left? Sort of, but nothing like what we have in cultivation.

2 years ago when we first spotted this relic patch, there was a little opening in the shrubs (which were much shorter at the time) and you could walk in there and see quite a few plants. This little clearing had a decent amount of sunlight. As of 2013 (2 years later), that open patch is now filled with thick shrubs, and there's no way you can even attempt to walk in there! All of the plants that were once receiving decent light are now etiolated and shaded. Many only produced phyllodia.

Will this patch survive in the long run? IF a fire comes through, or someone clears up the shrubs consistently, this relic site can potentially last a long time. However, the landowners clearly aren't interested in preserving these plants, and as is, the site will likely persist for a few more years at best.

In the case of the S. rubra wherryi Chatom giant site, in 2004 (?), the population was in the same situation: they were heavily shaded by thick shrubs and struggling to survive. As of 2013, we didn't find a single Sarracenia in the original Chatom giant site. There were also gigantic S. psittacinas that used to grow there..these were also all gone. While I remain optimistic that the little hurricane creek patch may persist for a few more years, I remain skeptical that it will last through time.

Photos of what remains of the original hurricane creek white site. This will likely be one of the last documented set of photos of the site before it disappears forever. It's damn hard to find, I'll tell you that much! Keep in mind, this used to be a field, but is now thick shrubs that eventually turn into a non-native forest (pine plantation) behind them:

You used to be able to walk in here:

10048505645_d3aeeedf73.jpg

Still, we did find an impressive hurricane creek white plant here and there:

10048537496_11dfc29bbb.jpg

Most of them, however, looked like regular leucos, or relative white regular plants:

10048478094_9386b93a7d.jpg

10048625643_06b7447418.jpg

10048510095_db0405f996.jpg

10048627653_7e1fd62f5e.jpg

They may be starving for light, but they sure aren't starving for insects!

10048512315_2dd35cece7.jpg

10048485324_bb2552b869.jpg

In two years, this will likely turn into thick brush:

10048516575_e6dced0661.jpg

10048615593_b6aec91265.jpg

Actually, some beautiful and interesting plants are still alive:

10048526686_89c6d9ee93.jpg

10048612133_e537a61498.jpg

you can tell this is a relative of hurricane creek white:

10048465584_836e1736d2.jpg

Decent hurricane creek white plant:

10048523216_7206baa418.jpg

10048463824_79a7543e28.jpg

The dark green and contrasting white is what makes hurricane creek white so unique. Most other populations don't have that characteristic:

10048615593_b6aec91265.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Meizwang, this is a terrible story. Can you talk to the landowners? Is it possible to protect this site itself? Take scythes and saws ... Do not let plants become extinct.

Here in the Czech Republic the situation is similar. One of the last prosperous sites P.bohemica is protected by DARWINIANA (Carnivorous Plant Growers Society) . Lot of volunteers help to protect this site with saws and scythes :moderator:

That is indeed sad news.

Since I am not in the positions to grow temperate cps, I haven't dealt much with Sarracenias, but S. leucophylla have always been a favourite for me. As an outsider, I have to say that is one incredibly beautiful form of this species. Is there any possibility to move the remaining plants to a nearby area, which is not in danger of being exploited?

Regards,

Christer

It is indeed terrible, and the damage as already been done, fortunately this amazing special plant was "saved" and it is now in cultivation, and we can keep loving and looking at it's almost perfect white wonderfully shaped pitchers :)!!

Edited by Malvo

• 2 weeks later...

Well the best thing would be if that are would be bought by a nature conservation organisation. Then the non native pinetrees could be removed, the bushes cut down and after a good burning and introducing and maybe Pinus palustris seeds it could get restored. I have seen similair examples of restoring rare plant habitats in The Netherlands. So where there was one agricultural land now you get Sundews and at some places Pinguicula vulgaris and other rarte plants. So places where there was nothing left now you get good vegetation back. And that site on the pictures has still some healthy Sarracenia leucophylla. So a better situation to start.

And if the owner does not want to sell the land maybe getting some agreement to remove the bushes and mowe the vegetation ones a year in winter. And then remove it otherwise it would smodder new growth in spring.

Alexander