Sign in to follow this  
Greg Allan

Czech climate & Drosophyllum

The excellent account on Drosophyllum on Best Carnivorous Plants' site advises that Drosophyllum be left outside for the summer months in gardens or on patios. Does anyone know whether the Czech summers are similar to ours, as I don't have a greenhouse & would rather grow the plant I'm getting on Saturday outside than under lights?

I don't know for sure what the Czech climate is like but I would guess it is a typical continental climate with warmer drier summers than ours. Our tendancy to have a week of drizzle every now and again might not suit Drosophyllum which in Portugal (its natural habitat) has a warm, dry summer with occassional heavy thundery downpours in the summer. But I am no expert! Perhaps you could shelter it in the garden even if you have no greenhouse? But I would be guided by someone who's tried leaving one outside during a typical UK summer.

Guest Sheila

Mine lived out in the garden last summer. I did put it in the greenhouse if rain was iminent (which last year wasn't often) . It loved it outdoors and got a soaking once when it rained while I was out. It looked a bit sorry for a couple of days but soon picked up.

Sadly it died in April this year after a pest attack, but I got lots of seed from it last year, so I am starting again.

The Lonelyplanet guide describes Czech weather thus:

The damp continental climate of most of the Czech Republic is characterised by warm, showery summers... There is no real 'dry season'... one or two [days out of every three see rain] during the wettest months of June, July and August. The long, sunny, hot spells of summer tend to be broken by sudden, heavy thunderstorms.

Maximum temps appear to be around 30C, whereas the summer average is more like 15-25C.