A once healthy Drosera Regia

SilentGuy

The Regia that I have had for less than a year has flourished well over the summer, catching all sorts of flies and insects, but a few days ago, I noticed the latest leaf not being as vertical as the summer leaves. Not an issue as far as I was concerned what with the lowering light levels, but yesterday I noticed all the leaves wilting down, and the base of all leaves starting to brown. The growing tip of the new leaves has browned and blackened, and I can't figure out why.

I'm hoping it's starting to go dormant due to temps (10 degrees during night but during day it's still 20 degrees), but it looks too sudden a change.

Any ideas why this is. I haven't really changed anything.

Hello SilentyGuy, if possible post some pictures of your plant pair that can assist you in solving this problem. Without them (the images) is difficult, perhaps impossible to help you.

Best regards,

Rodrigo

Edited by Rodrigo

how wet have you been keeping it? I had a VFT rot out from the middle like that once, whether it's a functional comparison I don't know but it's my first guess, looking at the browning on the base of a leaf or two. is it soft or crispy on those patches?

Edited by 19Silverman93

Well i've unpotted the Regia, and gave it a quick rinse to remove the soil. The upper part with the leaves snapped off during the process, so it was clearly very weak from some sort of rot. The base of the leaves felt pretty mushy. If it is indeed rot, then I'm surprised because I thought having it in a 20cm tall pot with a inch of water of the tray method in a well draining medium would have been sufficient to prevent this.

The plant was outside and besides the rain, I mostly stuck with water tray method.

Hopefully the roots which I have stuck horizontally buried slightly below the medium will start producing plantlets. Should roots when cut be white throughout, or is a brown centre still a good indicator for viability?