P. gypsicola 1st flower

Gaz

After being stuck in dormant mode for 18 months I repotted this P. gypsicola in January into a mineral mix with lime and gypsum, it came to life in late Spring and now it's flowered for the first time.

P9142079.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments everybody. The persistent dormancy puzzled me and I was very close to throwing the plant away as it was just stuck in it's tight little winter rosette for a year and a half. I finally decided to give it another chance in different a substrata and the result was as you see. Well these little lessons from our plants are what make it all so fascinating.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for your comments everybody. The persistent dormancy puzzled me and I was very close to throwing the plant away as it was just stuck in it's tight little winter rosette for a year and a half. I finally decided to give it another chance in different a substrata and the result was as you see. Well these little lessons from our plants are what make it all so fascinating.

(Rather than start another thread)

Can you give a little more detail as to what you have potted it into?

Mine is still dormant (about a year) and I wouldn't mind waking it up. It has no roots so I can try anything.

The plant is still doing OK and flowering again at the moment.  I found some notes from back then suggesting my mix at the time was like this (with proportions in brackets) which was loosely based on World of Pinguicula's recommended mix (it looks like WoP hasn't been updated for a while):-

• Peat or Coir (2)
  • Sand (2)
  • Seed perlite (1)
  • Fine vermiculite (1)
  • Calcerous clay (cat litter/molar clay) (1.5)
  • Pumice (1.5)
  • Dolomitic lime (20ml in 300ml of compost)
  • Gypsum (some, crushed)

If I was doing it again now I would probably replace the perlite and vermiculite with more cat litter or pumice.  I don't think Pings are that picky really so it might just have been the repotting which suddenly spurred mine on, rather than what it was potted in. Incidentally the piece of gypsum rock in the picture was just as a reminder that I'd added crushed gypsum to the mix.

Good luck with yours.

• 2 years later...

After recently discussing P gypsicola getting stuck in Winter mode with #manders I thought it might be of interest to update this post with a current picture of my plant to show how it has developed in the 4 years since the original post.  As you can see it is doing quite well, it has divided into 3 grow points which currently have 6 flowers between them.

large.59a1ea4e95e10_Pgypsicolacrop.jpg.8bc9972aa0e05a473ef0371b5d627624.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good there Gary!  

My gypsum arrived so un-potted my new gypsicola and was surprised to see it had allready grown a few roots, im hoping thats a sign that its about to start growing!  My last two never gre any roots to my knowledge.  Anyway re-potted with some gypsum so last see what happens...

19 hours ago, Gaz said:

After recently discussing P gypsicola getting stuck in Winter mode with #manders I thought it might be of interest to update this post with a current picture of my plant to show how it has developed in the 4 years since the original post.  As you can see it is doing quite well, it has divided into 3 grow points which currently have 6 flowers between them.

My P. gypsicola has been stuck in Winter mode this year and is only just coming out of it. Nowhere near as good as yours, though.

On 8/27/2017 at 6:50 PM, linuxman said:

My P. gypsicola has been stuck in Winter mode this year and is only just coming out of it. Nowhere near as good as yours, though.

thanks Martin.  It does seem to be a fairly regular problem with gypsicola for some reason.