Greenhouse Monitoring & Control with a Microcontroller called Arduino - PartII: Using it to grow Nepenthes Bicalcarata outside (Ghouse) in Temperate S

I thought about using arduino but have just gone down the PC route so far. Firstly just for monitoring and sending alerts to my phone if the heating fails etc.

I think there is some potential for predictive control, e.g. Not spraying plants in the morning if you know it's going to a cold overcast day. Whether it would really help the plants is hard to say, but fun to play with nevertheless.

The way im doing it currently yes you do, but if its power consumption your thinking about there are ways to minimise that. I think it is possible to run some of the software and sensors on an arduino but at the moment thats an area i really dont have time to get into. It wouldnt make any significant difference to power consumption.

I have just ordered an STC1000 thermostat. It can be used to operate heaters in the usual way but can also be used to turn cooling on when a threshold temperature is reached. The point is that it is an inexpensive bit of kit and widely available (ebay). I am going to use it to operate my greenhouse heater - it can handle 2 kilo Watts.

My brother has also ordered one - to keep his 6 gallons of Elederberry wine fermenting at the right temperature !

I am curious to know if USB stick temperature data loggers can be used without a PC if they are supplied with the voltage that a USB port operates at i,e by a small mains power supply.

I bought an STC 1000 but ddnt get around to doing anything with it yet, also got a humdity controller that looks similar. They are cheap, but there are more convenient ways of doing the same thing, although a bit more expensive.

The USB stcks (at least the ones i've seen) have a built in battery and you only attach to the PC to download the data, otherwse there wouldn't be much point to them.

Hello Manders,

I was wondering if you need to have the PC on all the time?

The software i'm using can run on a Raspberry Pi, wouldnt be a big deal to fully computerise the greenhouse and run it on a few watts of power.