Amorphaphallus ready to flower

snapperhead51

Brilliant, I can't wait for mine to flower and like James I'm unsure how big the tubers have to be before they'll flower. Pity they flower in spring and not Autumn so I could enter one in the village horticulture show....on 2nd thoughts I don't suppose they'd be too happy about them stinking out the Memorial Hall :laugh1:

• Like 2

this was the size when this one first flowered, ,

P1100910.jpg

if you feed them heavy with high nitrogen ferts they respond very quickly and put on bulk extremely fast, seen the tubers at 32Kg in Asia .

seen thousands of these in the wild , but never one in flower all in tree form .

A.bulbifera in flower

P1120133.jpg

managed to pollinate the flower and got loads of seed, but didn't flower of tree the next season from the length of time it took to ripen the seed on the stem

Mine flowered last summer but have skipped this year, must b a bit tired ...

Stephen

do you feed it well , , once they store that bulk energy they flower very readily ,

I feed mine very heavy every 2 weeks with large doses of fert highest nitrogen you can , tey soak it up like a sponge

may help .

We do have a long grow time because of our weather, ,see the dog is very keen on the smell probably. , mine us just stinking up now the G/H has the hint of dead rat

Stephen do you have it growing in the gravel in the pot or is it just a top filler in that pot .

as they really like a high compost mix to grow in , many in the wild grow in mainly leaf litter compost soils.

, some here use just about 50/50 compost mix with leaf litter , works well. the fert i been using is 30 30 30 full strength they put on huge bulk , very quickly , have to use a pot 3 times as big to allow for growth if you heavy feed them

got my A titanium going as well , small now may be in 10 year I mite get a flower

NOW its stinking ppeeehuuuuu :bad: !! but just fascinating to look at , the huge red/purple tongue that stinks, there pollen bulbs ready to open and under that the actual flowers all ready open ready to be pollinated, will gather some pollen and attempt to cross pollinate A.bulbifera when it flower up a bit later .

P1180055.jpg

there pollen area ,should burst open any day now

P1180053.jpg

there flowers deep down covered by the outer shroud

P1180077.jpg

P1180080.jpg

such a interesting plant

O yes Dimi , just like a rat that has been dead in hot sun for several days , now the pollen has popped out the smell has all most gone

thank goodness

I bet you'll never get rid of the stink of putrefying rodents now, what with those dead rats in your neps on top of this :D

• Like 1