Sign in to follow this  
snapperhead51

Helis finally re - potted for spring

Finally got round to re- potting most of my helis now spring has just arrived, still more to go but no room left again , see a sale happening very soon . thought it was looking good enough even with no good new growth for a few shots

P1180033.jpg

P1180036.jpg

• Like 2

Amazing collection you got there, snapperhead51! As I'm Heliamphora lover I totally envy you :)

Hi Ptaah

I know how very fond of heli's you are from your posts . I too very much like to grow them , there not at the best now , more sun will help with that now , because here in AU getting new species and seed is so very difficult because of import restrictions, , I have turned to hybridization more out of frustration of no acquisitions of new plants available . ., , with the help of T/C hope to get many more out from my several I have now , weather they turn out any good ! well have to wait and see, another 12 months should so signs of some characteristics I hope.

Hey!

I can imagine how difficult it was to complete such collection in Australia, that's another reason for me to be impressed. As there are not many Heliamphora hybrids around I do wish you succeed in making new beautiful hybrids. I keep my fingers crossed and looking forward to hear from you in the future. Good luck!

ptaah

just thought you may be interested , just harvested a new hybrid pod of heli seed, H. heterodoxa x ionasii x minor x heterodoxa , a bit more complex than i like but see what comes of it

this is number 2 pod , the rest on this spike are x self pollinated

P1180048.jpg

Edited by snapperhead51

John, my seedlings from your seeds H. ionasii x self doing fine here even in the murderous heat in the summer for them under my conditions this year.

p9240005_b25f3_30941776.jpg

p9240007_85f84_30941777.jpg

Edited by dimitar

Good job snapperhead51! Even though I don't like minor and heterodoxa crosses I'm really curious on how this hybrid will look like. Is there any chance you'd share some seeds? :)

Nice collection and good luck with your hybridisation. I must try growing Heliamphora from seed sometime, though they rarely become available.

Carl its very rewarding, but painfully slow, seems not many people are producing heli seed around the world, ,splits have been more popular .

found the seed in T/C much quicker, can grow a plant from seed to pitcher 6 to 7 cm in approx one year , , so quite advantages, , just De-flasking is a bit hard at times .

Splitting does not offer the same variety potential as seeds though.

Finally got round to re- potting most of my helis now spring has just arrived, still more to go but no room left again , see a sale happening very soon . thought it was looking good enough even with no good new growth for a few shots

Wow - very nice collection!

All the best

Andreas

Edited by Andreas Wistuba
  • Like 1