Utricularia alpina and longifolia

werds

Hi there

Do you want to grow them both together in the same pot? I keep my U. longifolia quite a bit wetter than U. alpina, by keeping it sitting in a tray of water while alpina I water from above. I'm definitely no expert in growing these guys though, so would be really interested in what people suggest. I have both in a sphagnum moss and perlite mix.

All the best,

Mark

I need more opinions please.
As a previous poster mentions, U. longifolia likes it wetter than U. alpina (& probably warmer). However, since longifolia is a weed, it really doesn't matter - just keep the conditions to suit the alpina - both are quite tolerant.

As a side opinion, it's almost against my dna to keep these two species in the same pot. :shout: (but to each, his own...)

Edited by RL7836

Why you dont agree to put this 2 species in the same pot?
I dislike placing plants together when it's a one-way event. It's very easy to plop them into the same pot and almost impossible to separate them again. This is especially true when one of the species is a notorious weed (note the last sentence in this link).

if you think you will like them together, then go for it.

if they grow like mine do there will intertwine massively and if ever wanted to divide or pull apart will be extremely difficult to do. may be a divider some how between them , ? very difficult though ,

but if or when they flower will be a nice thing to see, purple and white flowers mixed,could be quite the spectacle , , mine grow side by side in the same grow area ,so can see any difficulty in doing it , growing is a personal choice , , hope you do well .

Edited by snapperhead51

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Personally i would never put these two speces in the same pot, longifolia is allmost an aquatic, alpina likes it drier and once they mix together you may find one outcompetes the other. My guess is in a years time youll be starting off two new pots and keeping them seperate, lol.

The reason not to put them together is simple, but hasn't really been mentioned. U. longifolia conditions are too wet and can cause U. alpina to rot since it prefers slightly drier conditions than most Utricularia. Alpina is more like an orchid in it requirements.

Also, one is a lowlander and the other more of a highlander.... Basically, one or the other is going to rot, but it might take awhile. Good luck.