Sign in to follow this  
Loakesy

Rotting pitchers

is it just me or is anyone else seeing an increase of pitchers rotting early this year? I've put it down to an excess of captured prey as the pitchers all appear to be dying from about two thirds of the way up, and rotting upwards...

Yup, as far as I can see all our traps are pretty much full to the brim, with many of them now starting to rot.

A lot of mine are full and decaying. Even the late season pitchers. It's happening predominantly in anything that has leucophylla in it. My Lynda Butt is full of bees.

A real pity. It's hit some of my favourite plants. Even my very young Adrian Slack!

In a way I'm glad they've had a good feed but at the same time I'm upset about it as I was away from the end of May to the end of June, then again for the second half of July and I shall be away for five weeks at the end of Sept. I haven't spent as much time looking at my babies as I want to this season.

There seems to have been a bumper crop of insects this year. Most of my plants early pitchers have indigestion. The greenhouse has been alive with bluebottles, clouds of them.

Hopefully this will mean greater growth next year.

same here my little growhouse is buzzing with trapped flies morning noon and night . i guess there all just full up and my big purpurea venosa is starting to smell a bit funky

As discussed in another thread, it is a result of the late surge of insects this year. The benefit has been that we have had good looking pitchers for longer before this.

I always have too many flies being taken every year for my liking (rotting pitchers very soon after opening and a stench of rot in the greenhouse). I keep telling myself to put fine netting up across the windows to my greenhouse but I have not got around to it yet. I intend to leave one or two manual operating windows without netting so I can control fly intake in the Summer but definitely want to net the automatic windows. I guess for the door I need a clear fly door screen - whatever those dangly things are called you see across grocery shop back rooms.

The ecology inside a rotting pitcher is interesting. Often, maggots thrive for a while having hatched from eggs from dead flies, and feed on the rotting prey of the plant, speeding the digestion process I guess.