Cephalotus vertical growing

I've been growing 2 of my 3 cephalotus vertically for the last year and a half or so.

It's hardly scientific, but I think their growth has increased tenfold. This could be due to several factors, but they really did crawl along when grown horizontally and the change in growth was abrupt when I repotted them, increasing so almost immediately.

They also have a sedge growing with them which could help.

The one on top died back for some reason but is coming back quickly with a vengeance from the roots.

gallery_5296_377_85637.jpg

gallery_5296_377_38443.jpg

gallery_5296_377_53084.jpg

gallery_5296_377_53842.jpg

gallery_5296_377_103261.jpg

• Like 1

Nice setup James. I've been thinking about vertical Cephalotus growing for a few years now, but never seem to get around to setting something up. I've just made a vertical setup for Utricularia Campbelliana, so maybe Cephalotus next.

• 3 weeks later...

How about new growth ? I have prepared a special plantpot with 20mm plastic mesh lined with capillary matting. I am going to cut an area out to produce a 40mm hole in the mesh and then cut a cross in the matting to allow the plant to be inserted but what will happen when the plant tries to send out new growth - it will try to grow vertical on the inside of the pot ?

20130922_163809