Sign in to follow this  
hmbluck

Darlingtonia late summer losses

Hi, I'm just wondering whether others are experiencing loss of established plants as the summer draws to its end? I've noticed around a half-dozen older plants have recently, and for no apparent reason, started becoming flaccid before browning and dying. I've dug a couple of these plants out and the entire plant appears to be dead. There's no grubs in the soil (a few snail/slug eggs were found earlier in the year and removed) and the plants have been kept watered and their roots cool... I'm at a bit of a loss... Any thoughts/similar experiences would be welcomed. Howard

What soil you are using? What conditions you keep your plants in? This sounds like a fungus infection to me. I experienced such thing several times in the past when I used to grow this species in peat mixes. Now I grow it in pure Sphagnum moss and it does well... at least for now.

I have lost a couple of large plants due to excess heat. Plants grown in trays of Sphag are fine but the ones that died are in individual pots (in Sphag).

Thanks for your reply. The soil mix is two parts perlite, one part peat. Full, sunny exposure in a bog garden with daily cooling with crushed rainwater ice-cubes. Haven't had any losses previously and none of my other plants are showing any signs of disease or stress. It seems to affect large clumps of parent plants only - the plants at the end of runners appear to be in good health.

Stephen - I am suspecting the higher temperatures we experienced in July may have stressed the plants. But would it take 6-8 weeks for this to manifest itself?

I never lost any from heat. The temps in the greenhouse all summer are over 47C each year. The plants grow in same conditions with all Sarras in peat, perlite mix full sun all day.

Full, sunny exposure in a bog garden with daily cooling with crushed rainwater ice-cubes.

What is the natural root temperature in the bog garden and what temperature difference does this make?