Drosera in granite grit/sand

Inspired by some recent experiments by others I repotted my Drosera binata dichotoma "giant" into pure granite grit/sand a few months ago. It's been a real success and the plant has thrived. I have also done some root cuttings into the same medium and they are doing well too.

9558300504_9c399e72fa.jpg

Drosera binata dichotoma giant 2 by gardenofeden67, on Flickr

9558298624_d42f141d52.jpg

Drosera binata dichotoma giant 1 by gardenofeden67, on Flickr

I've been using the same stuff from Aldi, but only for top dressing. Never considered using it as a growing medium.

• 3 months later...

How deep do you have the water in the trays to stop it drying out too much? I'd worry with this medium that it would dry out real quick on sunny days. I saw the other posts on it and nobody has really given a definitive answer about how much you have to water compared to peat etc.

It just stand my lagoon with the rest of the Sarracenia, permanently in water. There is a mixture of sizes of particles in this, some quite fine, which means it holds water better than large particle grit. I would not want to use it for seedlings or small plants in such a tall pot, but in a shorter pot of tray they may be ok. I will be trying some Drosera regia next.

This does make sense, many Aust drosera and utrics live in straight sand and granite, D.burmanni and Indica are predominantly found in sand in QLD, and U.Bifida thrives in pure sand, as does U.Nivea and Limosa

Yep, seen the same thing in thailand with burmannii, indica and several utrics, sandstone mountain terrain and pure wet sand substrate.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...