My little tuberous Drosera

Rodrigo

Hello friends CPUK, I come to share with you a picture of my little tuberous Drosera:

D. peltata

P8140037640x480_zpsdd2f68a1.jpg

I sowed 30 seeds, but germinated only this and how it's been 3 months and nothing springs there, i believe that this is the only kind I'll have this CP. Because of this tract it very carefully, as I fear losing it.

In the middle of the spring will remove the small plate to keep the bottom water of the pot, so that the substrate gradually go drying to prepare this Drosera for dormancy in summer

If all goes well I intend to keep this plant in my cultivation for many years.

Best regards,

Rodrigo

• Like 1

nice little seedling , they grow quickly from now on , next winter growth will see a big lot of growth usually , the seed can last many years , the tuber seed is extremely tough and have good live span of many viable year ,so all ways a possibility of more germination next season, nearly all tuber seed need heat stratification not cold

just in-case you didn't know

good luck John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

John, thank you for your advice :tu: . I hope that this other seeds of Drosera germinate in the future so i can appreciate their development :happy: .

Here is a quick update from my D. peltata:

P9260059640x480_zps36204670.jpg

Track your growth it is being an amazing experience, every week is a new trap that way.

P9260060640x480_zpsf18e5267.jpg

As you can see this PC is rapidly developing and has also captured prey equal to this row to show in detail in the second picture :biggrin: .

Best regards,

Rodrigo

• Like 2

The great thing about this drosera is that its flowers self pollinate, so when or if you get flowers you will have many seeds soon after, just let it do its own thing , and do not harvest the seed pod until the pod is all black ,and dry ,so viability is right . you may loose a few seed on the top of the pot , that's ok they will germinate next season , just be sure to heat stratify the tuber seed at approx 30c for min or 4 months , you can use natural sun is best or under a light each day, they can take heat up to 45 c with ease .

they naturally sit on the dry summer ground here from September to March in sun ground temps of 60c at times air temps can get to 45 , but on average the air temps are around 30 to 35 c summer time

hope that helps

john

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello friends, all OK? I was obliged to provide a tutor for my D. peltata due to the fact that it start to tilt to the side with the "weight" of the traps. Below is some pictures of her after placed such support:

10459079503_21647f82f4_m.jpg10458896684_c55c180ce9_m.jpg10459079273_bbde5c2a80_m.jpg

Best regards,

Rodrigo

• 3 weeks later...

Hello friends, everything OK? Well, I come to show them how this my tuberous Drosera

10803056025_64bf6b9bc0_o.jpg

Easily Repair that it has a stretched, and they continue their development towards above, will soon have to get a tutor highest to anchor it. If all goes well, in addition to seeds, hope she develops the infamous tubers signal that it received proper care and completed their life cycle :biggrin: .

In possession of them, I'll keep them in a pot and accommodate this in a safe place when it comes to autumn bury it in the substrate and expect the plant to return from his long sleep :wink: .

Best regards,

Rodrigo

snowwy, i keep my D. peltata following what I read about the cultivation of them, ie, in autumn and winter the soil is very moist, but from the spring I will reduce the water level, so that this plant can prepare for their dormancy summer.

Note: Let down one more surprise that my Drosera prepared for me:

10928494446_97785b7bdd_o.jpg

As you can see she is getting ready to bloom, which made ​​me even more excited about this CP. Now i just hope to be around when the flower open it, which I assume will happen soon.

Best regards,

Rodrigo

• Like 1

Hi Rodrigo,

congratulations! This flower may not even be the end of the game as you can see in the picture that the plant will continue to grow from the leaf axil of the hightest leaf. There is a certain chance that this may culminate in another (set of) flower bud(s).

Best regards

Dieter

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dieter, you were right, ie, the plant will still produce more flowers. The first i could not photograph it, but the second:

11251804066_8b525922c2_o.jpg

And do not stop there, as she is forming two more flower buds. To my happiness is even greater simply just it completes its cycle leaving me some tubers. Ill wait to scour the substrate in search of them, but here is a question; where to store them so far to bury them again?

Best regards,

Rodrigo

Edited by Rodrigo

• 1 month later...

Here i am again bringing good news (or bad, after all depends on your point of view) about my D. peltata. The plant appears to be preparing to go into dormancy as you can see in the photos below:

11873608863_9f83e5ee5c_n.jpg11874169586_c592a7bb23_n.jpg

The curious thing is that the photo on the left you can still see some functional traps, pore around you all are too dry. So far so good, but behold, I come across this emerging at the base of the plant:

11873768464_b397679b6a_n.jpg

Some questions to be answered:

1) This is normal to happen? If this means that this plant will sprout again?

2) Do you think I should check the substrate and see if it generated tubers?

I will be grateful to anyone who can answer this question.

Best regards,

Rodrigo

Thank you for clarifying my doubt, Werds. I decided to risk and rummaged the substrate where was this CP and this is what I found:

11948287485_d56ed0ecc3_m.jpg11950776745_746c56b5a6_m.jpg11950777015_6576a2808c_m.jpg

Tubers, those structures that both wanted my D. peltata produce. Needless to say i am delighted. Now i can only save them in a pot and accommodate it in a dry place protected from sunlight, so to replant them in late autumn / early winter. By time i feel i have achieved my goal, but i'll just give you satisfied when this plant resurface in the middle of the year, because then i know that mastered the cultivation of the same.

Best regards,

Rodrigo