I need help to identify an Orchid

Rodrigo

This orchid, which stands on a Lemon tree bloomed in my house, but I do that genus/species it belongs therefore be grateful to anyone who can identify it for me.

Photo 1

1095105_406812286090193_569882564_n.jpg

Photo 2

1006033_406812279423527_2029765480_n.jpg

Best regards,

Rodrigo

looks like Cattleya loddegesii a species native to Brazil I believe

Dicon, this plant looks like it is a Cattleya same, but the species does not believe that to be indicated. For a better comparison see the photo of my Cattleya loddegesii, compare with the first Cattleya of post and see that the flowers are different:

Cattleyaloddigesii_zps0816bfb6.jpg

Best regards,

Rodrigo

Edited by Rodrigo

Hi Rodrigo

Cattleya loddegesii is quite variable in flower colour. The plant form will be more constant with 2 leaves upon a slender pseudo bulb with tight papery sheaths.

Cultivation will play a big part in flower power and colour and I would expect a naturally growing epiphyte to be less floriferous and less colourful than a well cared for pot plant.

more photo's of the plant and flower parts may guide me to something else, but as of now I am fairly happy with my ID.

Matt

I thank everyone who tried to help in the identification of this orchid, but a friend of mine discovered that species it belongs; it's Cattleya harrisoniana.

Best regards,

Rodrigo

Hi Rodrigo,

Cattleya harrisoniana is very similar to Cattleya loddigesii, the flowers are similar, but harris. usually has much darker flowers, in fact the darker variants have previously been called Cat.loddigesii var harrisoniana. (these are old synonyms)(from the strong colour, your cultivated plant could be Cat.h?!)

Cat. h has pseudobulbs that are laterally compressed (oval in section)and flowers are born from a green sheath.

Cat. l has pseudobulbs that are cylindrical and they are slightly thinner at the base. flowers are born from a dried papery sheath.

The sheath is less reliable but the pseudobulbs are the defining factor

The above are not really recognizable from the pictures you have shown but a closer look will confirm either way.

Please confirm, at the moment I am still with loddigesii

Matt

Edited by Dicon

Dicon, i report here that this plant taxon in this discussion, because another friend of mine has the same opinion as yours, ie, for him this Orchid is a Cattleya loddigesii. He provided some interesting information; Cattleya harrisoniana blooms in summer and not in winter. For now I'll treat it like a Cattleya sp. to be sure of what i have here.

Best regards,

Rodrigo

Edited by Rodrigo