What's Up With My Ping?

SoLongFairWell

Hi guys

I was wondering if you could give some insight as to what is wrong with my P. Sethos? I bought this plant on eBay and it arrived a couple of days ago in perfect health. I plotted it up the following mix:

1.5 parts perlite

1.5 parts cat litter (the tesco dust free one)

1 part peat.

This is a mix which has been slightly modified from that recommended by Peter D'Amato in The Savage Garden as even the silica sand that I managed to get hold of is practically dust so was too fine to use in the mix.

It is on my Southwest windowsill but we have had no son since before it arrived.

Is it just perhaps a bit of shock and things will settle down, although with a little initial damage?

file-72.jpg

probably the shock and repotting but i would also increase the humidity for a while to give it a chance to recover and keep it wet.

It has/had a lot of leaf area and pings don't usually have many roots to support a plant with that much leaf area after a repot at this time of year.

ada

Richard, if you have a greenhouse,sit it in some water and bright light where its well ventilated and it should come round pretty quick.

I wouldn't put a bag over it,no air movement warm wet new compost,mould heaven!

ada

Ada why the greenhouse over the house? Would it not be better to stay in the place it's permanently gonna grow? I understand about the bag and will remove it. Or would spraying with a fungicide (mycobactyl) as a preventative help or would that damage it?

brighter light and more air will help it come round quicker,you can leave the window or door open a bit.

You wouldn't get the same light levels inside and you wouldn't leave the windows and door open if you go out would you?

The old dying leaves will also dry up better without going mouldy with better light and air,without the need for any fungicide that could damage an already stressed plant/leaf

Richard, if you have a greenhouse,sit it in some water and bright light where its well ventilated and it should come round pretty quick.

I wouldn't put a bag over it,no air movement warm wet new compost,mould heaven!

ada

7th to 11th words of this old post any help?

ada

Richard, I have no idea why your plant responded like that... I think perhaps it got shocked, maybe too hot in the box, but the damage wasn't actually visible until you potted it up and it tried to function...?

One way to reduce shock on soft plants like pings, after you pot them up, they need higher humidity, but bagging them will cause them to rot due to the lack of air movement which promote diseases pings don't have defenses for.

So instead place domed lid over the pot. Like the kind with a hole at the top so overly warm air can remove itself from around the plant. It holds in the correct amount of humidity around the plants.

http://www.google.com/search?q=domed+lids&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=VMIKUrj3IMewyQGuzYCYCw&ved=0CEUQsAQ&biw=981&bih=667

Edited by Dave Evans

• 3 weeks later...

So will this happen pretty much each time I buy a Mexican ping that gets sent in the post?

No, this usually does not happen if they are given humidity in transit and not exposed to high temps. The problem is, you never know what temperature range they will be exposed to.