Sign in to follow this  
Christian

carnivorous plants in North Carolina - Part 3

Hi,

besídes some Dionaea (see part two of the report, link at the bottom) there have been auf course some nice Sarracenia too:

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

The last location Mark wanted to show us was about 40 Miles away from that spot. It was already late afternoon as we started driving there. As we arrived the sun was almost going down, which gave us real good lights to take pictures. This spot was a large population of Sarracenia flava. It was well worth driving there!

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

The plants seemed to be between the Variations var. maxima and var. ornata:

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

We could find some hybrids as well:

IMG_0966-sarracenia_flava_x_purpurea.jpg

If you look carefully you can find some interesting plants, that live in and on the plants:

IMG_0974.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

Christian

P.S.:

Part1: http://www.cpukforum...showtopic=50289

Part2: http://www.cpukforum...showtopic=50290

Edited by Christian
  • Like 1

Very nice! It seems I have to go back to North Carolina as there are lots of sites I have not visited. That Sarracenia field seems to be at a seepagearea. With those Taxodium ascendans in the back, similair as I saw in the Apalachicola State Forest in Florida.

Alexander

Hi Alexander,

yes, that location is comparable to the habitats we saw around Apalachicola (might take some time until i can post pictures from there), but that's true for almost every place we found Sarracenia. We got wet feets almost everyday (at least some of us ;) ).

Btw, my next report will be about S. oreophila in Alabama, as soon as i got the pictures sorted ;)

Christian

beautiful photos, thanks Christian!

Hi, i Just came back from North carolina and i saw only few Sarracenia and sundew i was really deceived.

I met the worth cp collector, Josh lynch, very cold and not open minded person Who told me that there's no guide in North carolina, so who's this mark pls, he looks great. I hope to go There another time and meet him. If not i went to some places, but a lot of Sarracenia disappears, they re very endangered, i saw houses with boats and big cars, in nature reserves !! And it wasnt houses for botanist or rangers, Just normal habitants, Thats a shame !

I hope a Day americans Will move their ass to protect their environment ! Compare to australia its Incredible.

SO if someone here is hesitating between australia and usa without any hésitations choose australia.

Anyway,

Thx again for these Nice pics !! :)

Cheers

Hi, i Just came back from North carolina and i saw only few Sarracenia and sundew i was really deceived.

I met the worth cp collector, Josh lynch, very cold and not open minded person Who told me that there's no guide in North carolina, so who's this mark pls, he looks great. I hope to go There another time and meet him. If not i went to some places, but a lot of Sarracenia disappears, they re very endangered, i saw houses with boats and big cars, in nature reserves !! And it wasnt houses for botanist or rangers, Just normal habitants, Thats a shame !

I hope a Day americans Will move their ass to protect their environment ! Compare to australia its Incredible.

SO if someone here is hesitating between australia and usa without any hésitations choose australia.

Anyway,

Thx again for these Nice pics !! :)

Cheers

Well you should have visited the Green Swamp. Its owned and managed by the Nature Conservancy so no development in that area.

The Green Swamp is one of the best areas for seeing carnivorous plants in North Carolina.

Alexander

Thanks for posting some great photos. So is the Green Swamp a nature preserve? I have a var cupurea from Pender Co, a very nice plant.

Alex

I visited other natural swamp reserved, but Just some Sarracenia resisted to the american way of life...