first time growing cephalotus from seed

corky

Yes they can be pollinated with themselves , after the flowers open I tickle with a small paintbrush from flower to flower , I did it every day and fairly soon you can see the seeds start to develop in the centre of the flower

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

From memory I think the flowers last quite a long time , unlike drosera . The pollen isn't ripe for a couple of days after opening , you should see a change in the pollens appearance , it should look fluffy when ripe.The flowers on the stalks of my plants opened over a week or so and I played bees with a small paint brush for a couple of weeks

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A few pics of the plants that germinated February 2014, its more or less their second birthday , growth hasn't been great but a very enjoyable experience , 20160211_165050_zpskwjfkmhw.jpg20160211_165038_zpsirnpgrsx.jpg20160211_165025_zps1b8mdpz1.jpg this next pic is of the batch germinated February 2015 they are grown in higher humidity under a fluorescent bulb in a propagator and are doing much better, one has a mature looking pitcher 20160211_165142_zpsuq92tgoi.jpg

Edited by corky
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

Hi Corky! Any advine on repotting for a growth speed up? Thanks!

I repotted mine because they needed more space , they were speeding up after slowing down a bit after I repotted them , if you repot try and keep as much soil around the roots as possible to avoid root disturbance

Hoping my Cephalotus flower bought as a 8 year old plant what month do they flower

this year mine started to flower in February but has been as late as April in previous years, might be too late now:-(

Mine have no visible flower buds yet but I have a few clones that usually flower . I think it's temperature / light dependant so seems to vary year to year. I'm pretty sure my Cephs were in flower through August last year so plenty of time yet.....

• 3 months later...

Now, when my cephalotus make the flower, me too try to grow them from seeds: they are beautiful!!! And I don't tought they could grow so fast!!! Great plants!!!;-)

Now, when my cephalotus make the flower, me too try to grow them from seeds: they are beautiful!!! And I don't tought they could grow so fast!!! Great plants!!!;-)