Royal Mail Refusing Postage of Plants to Germany

Myhermes are good and their starting price is £4.20 for up to 2 kilo and you can send pretty big boxes, compared to Royal Mail once your package is over 8cm in height they start at £5.00. Myhermes takes about 3-4 days but they will collect from your door stop of safe place.

If you are going to use Royal Mail you need to be prepared and buy in the right sized boxes so you are not caught out with their prices

myHermes exclude plants from compensation for damage, though I guess that if it is packaged adequately then this shouldn't be an issue.

They don't do international shipping though.

• 2 weeks later...

A plant I sent to Germany 3 weeks ago still has not arrived. :( Indeed the previous plant I had sent took over 2 weeks- yet a plant to Italy took just 4 days. It all seems a bit of gamble nowadays. A nep to Spain last year took a month and was of course DOA! Are they trying to KILL International trade in plants??

I have sent packages to Italy and Germany also Austria in the past week and all have got there no problems.I have sent two more today.

The post office didn't even ask what was in them today.I think the reason was i asked if they could go international signed for first before they even weighed them.

ada

In my case they asked my wife what was in package and she told them, they then presented her with a leaflet listing exclusions. So, if they know know what's in it and they know their own rules,.they will not accept carriage. They will accept carriage within the UK but I don't know about other European countries. The link I provided earlier world detail a particular countries exclusions by substituting the /german part of the url with the destination country.

I think the problem will occur when you try to claim for a lost or damaged parcel and have to prove the value of the item lost or damaged. If sold on Ebay they have a section where you can show the listing which confirms what it was sold for. But also shows what it is of course. Getting compensation out of RM is like getting blood from a stone as it is!!

And of course they have reduced the amount on normal airmail from £37? to £20. It would not surprise me if eventually all overseas countries had a clause where plants/livestock sent was not covered by compensation.

• 2 weeks later...

Well one plant eventually arrived after 30 plus days and sent via France!! Somebody had crossed out part of the post code along the way. Plant dead of course! And no chance of compensation I guess. And another plant sent later to another part of Germany looks as if it might be missing/delayed as well!

Better to stick to the UK I think from now on...

While most parcels get through without issue I think the problem nowadays is you are certainly not going to get any compensation when things go wrong. Unless you lie about the contents and even them you could get caught out and liable for fraud! Royal Mail have you if the parcel gets lost- because they contain plants. Or if the parcel is delayed (causing the death of the plants) you cannot claim anyway because delays are not covered by compensation. And the issues also occur with other courier companies like myhermes for UK deliveries- where plants are excluded. The only reason I guess is because of all the items you might want to post anything perishable stands a chance of not arriving ok if delayed and that would cost the courier money!!

• 2 weeks later...