Water when on holiday

Adam Davis

From past experiences I'd say anything that can be on the tray method should be to make things easier. That way your neighbour only has to keep water there. Nepenthes are problematic and I lost a valuable one due to it being neglected by a neighbour. It may be worthwhile double potting them. Put your pot halfway-ish into another pot of just peat (preferably with a sphagnum wick). Then keep it on the tray while you're away. Otherwise say that it must get watered every couple of days but it may be worthwhile discretely checking out how liberal your neighbour is with the water when doing their own garden. Mine basically shows the plant the hose and moves on. That's why I now suggest double potting those kinds of plants.

if you have 5 gall drinking water bottle, deep big tray or liner you can form into a tray, you can fill the tray/liner with water and the bottle, then invert the bottle in the tray about an inch from the bottom, on some form of stand or restraint. then as the water level drops in the tray, hey presto the bottle takes in air and water comes out to maintain the water level and stops once the bottle opening is covered due to atmospheric pressure. Simple foolproof way but you need some big airtight bottles or containers or multiples.

cheers

Steve