Mexican Pinguicula Summer Dormancy?

Jonathan F.

Hi All

All of my mexican pinguicula as not come out of dormancy this summer,why is that? All my pings are grown in 1" of water over summer and dry over the winter time and are all grown with nepenthes year round. Temperature are at 12c night and 30c day a little higher over this months heat wave 25/40c.

Hi, have you had them long and this is the first summer this has happened or are they new (to you) plants? 1" of water sounds a bit much unless you have some filler (hydrolacea/grit) at the bottom of the pot for drainage, I usually keep mine in about 5-10mm water and then top up when it's all been used/evaporated for a while. I did have a P. gypsicola which was stuck in dormant mode for 18 months until I repotted it in a more mineral substrata earleir this year. Sorry can't be much more help.

Hi, have you had them long and this is the first summer this has happened or are they new (to you) plants? 1" of water sounds a bit much unless you have some filler (hydrolacea/grit) at the bottom of the pot for drainage, I usually keep mine in about 5-10mm water and then top up when it's all been used/evaporated for a while. I did have a P. gypsicola which was stuck in dormant mode for 18 months until I repotted it in a more mineral substrata earleir this year. Sorry can't be much more help.

Hi there I have had them for over 6 years and they was re-potted two years ago in peat,perlite,vermiculite,sand mix. I did same leave pulling in the winter time and they are bigger then the mother plants,leave pulling are in 100% peat.

Mine seemed to remain tightly together. It wasn't until I took it indoors away from the blaring sun that the leave began to turn back green and start growing out.

It mite be the sun as the leaves are yellow, plus it mite be this heat wave we are having.

I do not know why, but my mexican pings are also very slow this year. Some of them do not grow so big and nice like the last years, although some of them are very nice (first time flowering P. colimensis for me). I suppose the weather is the reason - we had extremely cool and rainy days at the end of the spring and now it is the opposite - extremely hot and dry... I think the pings are quite confused from this. It also might be the salt accumulation as Fernando mentioned, but i cant prove nor reject it.

Adam