Which tds meter?

Not unless you know exactly what substances and how much of them are dissolved in your water.

I was really surprised at the apparent purity of the rainwater here in the West Midlands.

Just taken delivery of temp/tds/ppm meter (£4.92p free p+p from China) my tap water reads 147 goes down to 133 if left overnight, rain water comes out at 013, trays measure 220, even if it isn't accurate it give me an idea of what I'm pouring on my cp's. Now I have these readings I don't know if they are within limits or not. Any help would be good.

Ian.

I guess around 140-ish is the upper limit the plants can tolerate. What I don't understand is why the measurement of the tray water is 220, if your tap water is way below.

Amar mine is 133 straight out of the tap (I must test some stood overnight to see what it goes down to) and that's what I use on my plants. It's a million times easier for me as I have an incredibly bad back and this disability means I can't be carrying watering cans and lifting them up to chest level to be filling up my trays. The hosepipe is a godsend in this scenario.

Amar

This reading (tray=220) didn't make sense to me untill you see how many slugs commit suicide in the water, this must have a bearing on readings, I will clean out my trays this weekend and see if there is any difference. Have been using tapwater (013)for 18 months and have no reaction.

Regards

Ian

Edited by ian

I got my TDS-3 through the post this morning and my readings are :

Tap water : 051ppm

Rainwater bucket #1 : 006ppm

Rainwater bucket #2 : 010ppm

As i live in an upstairs flat, it's practically impossible for me to collect a lot of rain water, so i tend to mix what little i collect roughly 50/50 with tap water. I've just measured all my trays and they range between 030 and 034ppm.

Edited by Welshy

Just taken delivery of temp/tds/ppm meter (£4.92p free p+p from China) my tap water reads 147 goes down to 133 if left overnight, rain water comes out at 013, trays measure 220, even if it isn't accurate it give me an idea of what I'm pouring on my cp's. Now I have these readings I don't know if they are within limits or not. Any help would be good.

Ian.

I did an overnight test and it went from 132 to 150 and I had it covered to prevent evaporation. Weird. Anyone shed any light on this?

I got my TDS-3 through the post this morning and my readings are :

Tap water : 051ppm

Rainwater bucket #1 : 006ppm

Rainwater bucket #2 : 010ppm

As i live in an upstairs flat, it's practically impossible for me to collect a lot of rain water, so i tend to mix what little i collect roughly 50/50 with tap water. I've just measured all my trays and they range between 030 and 034ppm.

Brilliant results. I remember when I was at my Mum's in Cornwall her tap water was 70. Go ahead and use it to make life easier for yourself.

I did an overnight test and it went from 132 to 150 and I had it covered to prevent evaporation. Weird. Anyone shed any light on this?

I tested my tray once and it came out around 250PPM. No definitive reasons why but I suspect the runoff water from the peat soil over the months may have slowly built up. So now I check it regularly and empty the tray of water entirely just to be safe.

I should point out that mine was tap water and not water from the tray. It varies between 125-135 and its what I use on my plants. I was just surprised at the increase considering it was in a sealed takeaway food container.

CO2 absorption, possibly difference in temperature, if your meter does not have temperature compensation, and contamination from storage container.

• 1 month later...