Anyone ever come across this at all?

Sporotrichosis!

Rinse your Peat Moss- Some brands of peat are lower quality than others. I've used Premier peat moss, which tends to develop algae and mold. Because of this, make sure you rinse your peat before using it to avoid these problems.

Try not to inhale peat dust- repeated exposure can cause some people to develop sporotrichosis from fungals spores found in peat. Avoid handling peat if you have cuts on your hands, due to the same reasons as above (wear gloves).

Sphagnum moss can potentially harbour the fungi causing the chronic disease sporotrichosis.[36]Sporothrix schenckii spores enter the skin via abrasions, scratches, and small puncture wounds as a result of unprotected contact exposure to Sphagnum moss.[37]

Edited by desana

I have read that it is very dangerous to inhale perlite dust. Some people claim that it is carcinogenic as asbestos (I don't know to which extent this is true). On a French forum, it was recommended to pour some water in the bag of perlite immediately after opening it. When the perlite is damp, the fine particles are no longer volatile. Now I am always doing that.

Some brands of perlite are washed and so have little dust. If you have some dusty stuff, you can poke small holes near the bottom of the bag and wash it with water. You'll see the dusty, now white colored water leaving through the holes.