D. regia problem

SoLongFairWell

As you can see from the photo my regia is having some difficulty producing new leaves. One blackened off (dry) and the other one looks like it will go that way. Any ideas? It's growing in full sun in my unheated greenhouse in sphagnum and perlite stood in water all the time.

file-40.jpg

Richard, i remember buying my Regia just a few weeks before you bought yours.

If it helps any, and i'm no expert, but mine is doing absolutely fine in a 9cm pot in which i planted it in a 50/50 peat and glass sand mix, standing in 1cm of water, on a south facing windowsill. The past 2 weeks have been constant sun with daytime temperatures in my flat (with all windows wide open) still hitting between 28 and 34 degrees lately, and my Regia is fine so far with no burnt tips.

So do you guys think I've done the right thing in moving it outside to a shadier location or would it be better off back in the greenouse in a different pot? Mine's roughly in a 9cm pot. I've not taken a ruler to it or anything.

Edited by Richard Bunn

Richard mine does best when protected from direct light. However my climate is much hotter than yours and I protect almost all my plants from direct sun. Regia's outside in full sun but the sun is filtered through a thin curtain. It hasn't died back this year and 3 basals have come up.

I'd take Fred's and gardenofeden's advice as I've seen their plants in photos and they are jaw-dropping.

Going through my collection last night doing some weeding I think I now know the cuprit. Provado. I had sprayed my plants about 10 days ago and had the feeling that the pesticide came out too wet. I think the mist action of the gun has gone a little caput, it was a little more like a squirt. So I think it's burn from that as I found some new growth on some of my Sarras (Juthatip Soper, alata and rubra) were effected quite a bit.

If you spray provado in the day especially when it's hot it has this effect on most plants as I found out on some of my plants last year unfortunately, including a couple of D. regia. I think you are supposed to use it when your plants are well watered and in no sunlight it seems to burn some of the growth otherwise but the good news is the plants are all OK after a couple of weeks .

Drosera don't like provado sprayed on their leaves so that may well be the culprit. However I also have loads of root cuttings sprouted which also look like that which I think I'd down to hot weather plus inadequate roots. So a shady place for a whole till it gets established would be good.

I also believe D. regia, if the pot is not very large, does not like its feet in water all the time.