S. flava "Goldie"

prized

Yuri.

I think there is a good chance you have goldie and you have been unlucky with conditions.

I must ask if you got the plant during its dormancy or was it in full growth and did it look yellow at all.

Paul currently has a small stock and holding back to build up numbers so he can produce more divisions, in all fairness to him he has been selling potfulls for very fair money and has not learned to say no.

If Paul did send you a plant in dormancy and you do not have goldie then I could see how a mistake could have been made but all of the plants at Pauls nursery are 100% goldie.

You may be on to something with night time temperature drops though as I think it plays a part in anthocyanin production that is responsible for the colours red, yellow and blue I do believe.

Well I first saw the photo of the proposed ('fake' !!) Goldie and thought 'No way, looks nothing like mine'.

Then thinking about growing conditions in Italy, and our 2 weeks of pure HOT sunshine...I went into the greenhouse and saw this.......

gallery_631_216_45704.jpg

It normally grows as everyone else describes...just this year it's seen more sun than ever before !!!!!!

Picture below shows normal (as well as the pitcher in question!) Goldie traits...yellow pitchers, bleached white due to sun, burnt lid tips and VERY FEW veins.

gallery_631_216_64764.jpg

Edited by Phantom

Well I first saw the photo of the proposed ('fake' !!) Goldie and thought 'No way, looks nothing like mine'.

Then thinking about growing conditions in Italy, and our 2 weeks of pure HOT sunshine...I went into the greenhouse and saw this.......

I always thought that Goldie's colour was only given by strong day sun and fresh nights... So, guys, what do you think are the best conditions to get such results?

Edited by prized

move to UK. lol.

That's an extreme solution Ian!! ahahah :)

Paul Gardner just answered me by mail:

Hello Yuri,

Many thanks for the email, sorry for delay in replying due to attending a flower show . On your forum the first 2 photos are not 'goldie'. The 3rd photo is 'goldie'.

Early in Spring flowers are butter yellow and huge, the pitchers start with little veining but are butter yellow gold and later on more distinct veining appears with vigorous growth and taller pitchers 60/70 cms in height. I only use divisions and only have a small number of stock.

Mark from north wales(on the forum) has seen the plants here at the nursery and they are kept separate from flava and forms grown elsewhere on our nursery

I will try and get a photo put on our website as soon as I can.

Best wishes Paul

I'm now quite weirded out....What clones are those in the first 2 photos that I've posted at the beginning of this thread?

Maybe they have just been grown in some condition that Paul cannot get, so that he doesn't know about this kind of colouration in S. "Goldie"? (quite strange)

Edited by prized

Hi,

i have seen the plants at Paul, this year and last year, and they are really seperatly. My Goldie is from Mike, and he got it directly from Paul. And my Goldie has a lot of veins, too. ut when i got it from Mike, his plant was without veins (every year). So maybe thats really about the growing conditions and the good English Sarracenia weather!

Best regards

Matze

• Like 1

This is my "Goldie" in a couple of old pics. I obtained it from Paul Gardner a few years ago; I bought two divisions, one for me and the other for a friend of mine... nobody was looking for it at that time.

I think it was probably the first plant to be grown in Italy.

goldieb.jpgqaxu.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi all, sorry for the late update. Some times ago, speaking about Goldie with Paul G. he told me the story of this clone:

The origins of S flava 'Goldie';

At Marston around 1994 we grow over 10000 flava seedlings all at 2/3 year old. We had a customer call regulary from Worcester called Trevor Margetts. He bought a load of seedlings for himself ( the variation was so interesting growing so many).

In 2004 having kept in contact with Trevor he became ill and had to give up his collection so his wife contacted me, so I went over and bought the lot. They were in a mess so it was Autumn so I decided to leave them outside in a canal.

Next Spring we started to sort them out and pot up the best. He had some really fine hybrids he had crossed himself many went into our National Collection but the one that stood out was Goldie it was butter yellow and glisening. I contacted him and he said it came from seedlings from us when we were at Marston Exotics.

So that is really what happened, but Trevor knew a local lad who was keen and some plants he was given some plants so Goldie may have been given to him?

I hope you can use this info to clear up any problems.

Here is a picture of a S. flava "Goldie" grown from a friend of mine (_keeper_), who lives in the southern Italy, where sun is stronger and night is colder then where I live.

05%20-%20Sarracenia%20goldie.JPG

In the end, I really believe that Paul has the true Goldie!